45-110/120 ammo box

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Buckskinner,
That is a cool picture on issue 40. I think though it was what we call a sheepherders Monument. Alot of them built like that in NE Wyoming some are just a pile of rock a cairn. Others are shaped like a shelter of sorts. They also in some instances are predating the white man I am told and this spot in Garbe's picture maybe one of them sites. It is in the basin area south and east of Cody I think??

I used to shoot short half stocked Muzzle stuffers yeah. My 2 that i still own are a old CVA Kentuck that My folks got me for Christmas when I was 14. And the other is A TC Renagde that I bought in Phoenix when I was 18. These two guns both went to college with me and I hunted with both a lot till I was about 22. I shot alot of BP in the AZ deserts.

I am on the other side of the state from Cody about 270 miles or soo east.

Nohorse, glad to see we agree on alot of stuff and you saw my points. Thats All I was wanting and would like to meet you some day.

I used to do all the sorting of our cattle in the big pens when I was younger. Now days I am so allergic to them I dont get that close anymore. Dad had us boys often taken out of school when I was in Highschool on Tues in the Fall to work the local sale barn that 2 of my Great Uncles owned. I have worked alot of cattle some sales were over 3000 head going though the ring in a afternoon and early evening. I got paid very well, our Great Uncles were what I call real Cattlemen. They and my Dad are the ones that taught me Cattle. My Grandpa Bill Zerbst and my Brother Dennis where the last of the Great horsemen In my Family. Both Gone now.

The last 15 years I have not set a horse (again too allergic to the dander) but I do set a honda 4x4 still and help when I can get time too. And we use a 250 R alot too.

My mom has a pretty cool picture of me in a scrap book. It is the winter of 1980-81 there is not a fence within a mile of us we are out on the open pararie I have my arm around the Neck of a 1800 lb Angus Bull That I had raised from a Calf called Big Pete. He was very gental and I could Ride him! he was Huge one of the largest bulls I ever raised.

These days at Raton or any match I attend, you see me wearing boots some days and lot of days I still wear my Old Bullhide Dyers Mocs. Wranglers and Mocs a staw hat or a ball cap.

They say you can take the boy off the ranch but you cant take the ranch off the boy. That is a pretty true statement.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Gentlemen ! Just because that someone tells you a story that sounds like it isn't true , doesn't mean that it is not true ! If i was in a Buffalo stampeed and my horse was going down i would grab for anything i could find so as not to get stomped on by them critters , to include a buffalo and hang on for dear life ! As for this case length thing ! If the Buffalo hunters didn't shoot the 3.25 inch case, then who did ? ! JAGG { Also know as He Who Pets Buffalo's }
JAGG
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

JAGG,

I have personaly seen 3 boxes now of 45-120 ammo. One UMC box and the other 2 were made by winchester all 3 boxe say for Sharps rifles. All 3 boxes have 2-7/8ths brass. I have seen one old box off 45-120 winchester ammo only 8 rounds in it they were listed at 320 grs and they were 3.25 brass. I am pretty sure they were for a Highwall and most likey made in the late 1880's or 90's. They were short blunt nosed bullets and sure were not any 550's.

There are alot of 3.25 40's and 45's around today, originals but twisted for light bullets. These are EXPRESS RIFLES. W. Picket of Wyoming a famous hunter is one of the folks that got the ammo companys to make 3.25 cases as the Brits were doing Again its pretty clear that this came about in the the time frame that the buffalo hunts were over.

UMC records show that they came out with 3.25 cases in mid 1884 and were for Express rifles. Sharps Records are pretty clear they never offered a 3.25 case. The last major buffalo Hunts ended in Wyoming And MT around 1881-82.

There is plenty of documentation to support the fact that 3.25 cases were not used on buffalo herds per say while the great hunts were going on. I bet that a few buffao were killed with 3.25 cases in the late 1880's. But not while the time of the great herd hunts.

I am sure alot of buffalo were killed with 45-120-550 or 45-120-500. Mater of fact I am damm sure of it and also that these men where using a 2-7/8ths Sharps to do it.

Just who used the 3.25???? oh folks like Elmer Keith and market hunters of the late 80's and 90's.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

K W ! COTW lists the 45/120 also known as the 45/125 as having been made in the years of around 1877 to 1878 for the new Sharps Hammerless S. S. model ! Buffalo were still being hunted for years past that time period , but they were fewer and spooked easly by then , so the need for the longer range shooting ! The britts did make a 45/3.25inch case express for 405gr or lighter bullets ! The winchester was a fatter 3.25 express round also with a slow twist for even lighter bullets in the 300gr weight ! But these guys special ordered the cases in earlier years and rechambered and even rebarreled their rifles ! They were the first Wildcatters that shot Buffalo instead of them little Varminits out there now ! Mayer used English powder maybe they ordered english cases with a faster twist barrel for heavier bullets too ! The big single shot varminit hunters craze started back again in the 20's to the late 50's and these big guns which no one could get cases for back then were rebarreled first as they were cheap ! Look in the old books of the varminit rifles made from the sharps actions and engraved to boot ! They cut up most of those cheap old rifles back then so thats why you don't see these calibres these days ! Watch KW when your gone your great grandchildren might turn your old rifle into a lamp ! JAGG :lol:
JAGG