1870's Hand Tool Set for cartridge loading

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tim Kauffman

1870's Hand Tool Set for cartridge loading

Post by Tim Kauffman »

I've got an idea for an additional item for Shiloh to sell as an accessory. I'm sure alot of their customers are history buffs like myself. I think it would be very "cool" if they assembled a "period correct" set of hand tools for loading cartridges like the old buffalo hunters used at their camp sites out on the buffalo range. A 310 tool won't cut it since it wasn't invented until the 1880's, after the buffalo were almost gone. I know that I would love to have such a set. I'm sure it would be alot slower than mechanical loaders but sometimes speed isn't the most important thing. Especially when your retired like myself. I'm also sure that a company, like Shiloh, with very knowledgeble resources at their disposal would be able to accomplish this in short order. I think alot of shooters would like to buy them even if they didn't plan on ever using them. Anyone else have any opinions on this idea? Tumbleweed Tim
bigfifty

Reloading Tools

Post by bigfifty »

Yes, I to would purchase such a set. Tom Quigley, I believe has started a 'Reloading Tool Collectors Society'. Sorry if the name is not spot on. They would have examples of 'originals' for to copy. A great idea. Sorry I don't have acsess to a machine shop; with plans could make us a set. Bigfifty.
Tim Kauffman

handtools

Post by Tim Kauffman »

Bigfifty;

Thanks for your input. Hopefully Kirk will see this string and comment. If Shiloh decides to pass on this project (too many other irons in the fire, etc.) then maybe a bunch of us interested buffalo shooters can put our heads together and come up with something. Maybe even make a few bucks? Any comments? Tumbleweed Tim
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I couldn't resist buying a set like that. Great idea.
Lee Stone
Brent

Re: 1870's Hand Tool Set for cartridge loading

Post by Brent »

I'm game for it. Should have a paper patched bullet hammer swage too.

Brent
PS. I have many other handtools for reloading and do much of it, almost all of it actually, on Lyman 310 tong tools.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Count me in. I also do a bit of work with the 310 tool, but period tools would be the cat's meow. To include the hammer swage

Brent, what do you mean "fly over country"

TL
Brent

Post by Brent »

[quote="
Brent, what do you mean "fly over country"
TL[/quote]

Flyover country is that portion of the continent between the backside of the Appalachians and the front side of the Rockies. My particular piece of it is called Iowa. Some of it is the best kept secret in America. Some if it, like Iowa, is not the best...

From East of Heaven,
Brent
"I'm not from here, I just live here" (James McMurtry)
dspeed

Period Reloading Tools

Post by dspeed »

There is a nice piece on antique reloading tools in the current (Autum 2003) Double Gun Journal. Worth checking out even if it tends to shot shell reloading.

These are *much* prettier than the real Sharps tools in the back of Seller's book. I think I'll stick to my Lyman 310 after looking at the originals.

Dave

The Constitution may not be the greatest work ever set to paper,
but it beats what the government is using now.
Tim Kauffman

handloading tools

Post by Tim Kauffman »

To Me pretty is in the eye of the beholder. Regardless of looks, especially when it comes to tools, I always prefer the real deal. I just spent a couple hours searching the web and I can't any such tool kit out there. I'd say that whoever can make an authentic reproduction set of 1870's
loading tools will have a monoply on the market and can charge whatever the market can bare. Does anyone know Frank Sellers? He might know how to locate a set of tool design plans. I'm sure the original patents have expired by now. Tumblewed Tim
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Brent,

Where in Iowa? I used to live in Dysart. A long, long time ago.
Lee Stone
Brent

Post by Brent »

[quote="Lee Stone"]Brent,

Where in Iowa? I used to live in Dysart. A long, long time ago.[/quote]

Between Ames and Story City. Closer to the latter.
Brent
Brent

Re: handloading tools

Post by Brent »

There was a guy on net a while back that was selling an orginal Sharps hammer swage. I think he wanted maybe $750 for it. At least that's the number that comes to mind anyway. I sure would have liked that, but didn't have the cash.

Brent
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Brent,

Yeah, I saw that item also.

I wasn't certain it was authentic. From the picture it was in pretty bad shape and I couldn't be certain. But if it was original it was cool.

Check to see if it did not sell. If, not contact the seller directly. Make him an offer. I've picked some items up this way well below their original asking price.

Hal
dozer

Post by dozer »

If no one picks up on this, I might try making some loading tools. I would need to see some "in person" or have working drawings. Pictures would probably get me close. Sounds like neat items. My time is really tight right now and it would be spring or later.
Doz