Need advice on selecting powder measure

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Chris Meyer

Need advice on selecting powder measure

Post by Chris Meyer »

I am getting ready to start loading blackpowder. Will be ordering drop tube from Buffalo Arms, but need advice on which powder measure to get. There is Lyman, Beling and Mull, Hornady, etc.
Chris

"Friends come and go...enemies accumulate"
Omak Cowboy

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Chris, you write : Chris

I just could not resist....that's why one can buy bullets, and powder in bulk!
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

The Lyman has served many people for years, effectively. A good value for $55 more or less. Harrel powder measures are very high quality, lifetime products, and probably overbuilt, but really, really, nice. I was fortunate that my Chocolate Lab pup, Shiloh, bought me a Harrel for Christmas this year. Hey, my wife doesn't know what it is, "oh, that's just for loading, dear". OK. Check out Harrel powder measures on their web site, the Harrel premium, with the black powder adaptors, comes to $245.

Keep your powder dry, no matter what tool measures it! Good Shootin!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

RickD, I didn't know that Harrel made a Black Powder measure, I have a Harrel for smokeless, do you know if it can be converted just by changing the plastic powder tube?? I would like to know because my Lyman does not cast consistant weights of powder. There can be as much as .9 grs difference from one throw to the next even though I use very consistant technique and the 24" drop tube. Look forward to hearing from you, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I'm not RickD but I do know you can get the Harrel in black powder configuration, Lee Stone just bought one just for Black Powder.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Chris,

Take a look at the Harrell Premium for $225.00. For another, I think it was $20.00 Mr. Harrell adds a tall aluminium powder hopper so you can use it for black powder.

http://www.harrellsprec.com/online_store.html

Scroll down to the Premium Powder Measure. Then there is the Culver Classic, but Mr. Harrell talked me out of that one. He told me the only difference is a bit of a fancy facade on the Classic and $70.00, which can more that pay for the aluminium powder hopper.

It is a very good, accurate and consistant powder measure. I like mine very much.
Lee Stone
flintski

Post by flintski »

I have several powder measures and the one that has served me the best is the Redding Benchrest. Very very accurate. :D The Lyman is good also but I have a had time returning to a setting. Good luck finding your measure.
Why shoot an ugly gun when life is so short.
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Omaha. Hit the wrong button and posted on the wrong topic!! Re the Harrell Black Powder Kit. Contact Harrel and they'll send it to you for $25.00. Aluminum hopper and drop tube. I just ordered the Premium Harrel for $220 + the kit for $25. Aske how they wanted me to pay .. Credit card or send a check .. they said "we'll ship it and you pay when it get's there. Pay us from the invoice in the box". Real nice people.

Rickd
Frank

Post by Frank »

Every charge I throw goes over my RCBS Electronic Scales so I use the Lyman 55 Classic at $87. A little slower but every round is the same. Also every bullet goes over the scale.
Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Frank, I agree. I use the Lyman 55 which throws a very consistant charge into the pan from my powder scale. I just put it back on the scale and then use my trickle charger to get an EXACT measure of powder every time. It would be great to have one of the Harrell's but this method works at 1/3 the expense. Before I was lucky enough to get the Lyman from my great friend Lee Stone, I used a dipper and the powder scale and the trickler method. The end result is the same, you just do it with a lot more class with the Harrell!! :D
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Chris Meyer

need advice on selecting a powder measure

Post by Chris Meyer »

Thanks to all who posted. Have ordered the Harrel with both BP and smokeless parts, plus a Sinclair stand, Buffalo Arms drop tube and compression die. Did I miss anything?
Chris