Question on Pyrodex

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Tim Kauffman

Question on Pyrodex

Post by Tim Kauffman »

I would like opinions on using Pyrodex for a hunting cartridge. I have a 16 Ib., 50-90 buffalo rifle on order. I live in Central Illinois and its nearly impossible to get black powder around here because the state has made life so tough on the dealers they stopped carrying it and sell Pyrodex instead. Since I am going to use the cartridges for hunting only (100-150 yards) would a pyrodex load be accurate enough for big game i.e., buffalo or elk? Since I've only used factory loaded ammunition all my life I obviously have alot of learning to do. All comments are welcome and appreciated. Thanks. Tumbleweed Tim
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

T K ! I try not stopping in your state because of the Gasoline taxes etc., almost had to push over the state line a few times ! First take a ride to another state and buy 5 lbs of BP ! But for now fill case with Pyro RS to the point where you compress the Pyro 1/4inch when seating the bullet ! Measure or weight that amount for future records ! JAGG
JAGG
Tim Kauffman

Pyrodex or black powder

Post by Tim Kauffman »

Jagg, Thanks for the advice on the pyrodex loading. However, I would prefer using black powder but going out of state for it would be costly since my old Chevy Blazer sucks gas like an thirsty steer sucks water. Does anyone out there know of a blackpowder dealer in Central Illinois? I called GOEX, got their number off their web site, but the lady on the phone claimed they had no listing of customers (dealers) in Illinois. That's kinda hard to believe. Go figure. Tumbleweed Tim
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Tim, Get a hold of rdnk, he will tell you who to call and they will ship it right to you door step by the case. He told me to use Powder Inc., instead I get it ups'ed from Western Powder in Miles city. Hope this helps, Thanks Kirk
Tim Kauffman

Black powder source

Post by Tim Kauffman »

Hi Kirk;
I thought that I heard from someone that some kind of federal license was needed to receive black powder across state lines. I guess that I have black powder laws mixed up with firearms laws. Thanks for the advice. This should simplify things alot. Tumbleweed Tim :)
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Just ordered a case of Goex from Powder Inc. a few weeks ago. All you need to do is fill out their statement of release and certification and provide them with a copy of your drivers license and they'll ship it right to your door. Case of Goex (10lbs 2F and 15 lbs 1F) with hazmat shipping fee was $239.00.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
CVV

Powder in Illinois

Post by CVV »

Tim,
You might try Graf and Sons in Mexico, Mo. If you could get the Blazer to Missouri gas is usually cheaper. I live in Springfield and usually order by the case or I get some of the guys in the N-SSA to pick some up for me at the Nationals.

Charlie
Lead Slinger

Post by Lead Slinger »

Tim:
Look up J&J Pyrotechnics in Moscow PA. on the internet. Just send a statement of intent and age with the check. Ships 25# case right to your door, any state. Enjoy that BIG FIFTY when it comes....
Remember, God shoots a Sharps Lead Slinger
Sean Thornton

Post by Sean Thornton »

Not to put a damper on things but the State of Illinois has a law that only allows you to buy 5 pounds at a time and only 5 pounds in possession.
Bummer.
"An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition, Let's experiment."
Sean Thornton(From the Old Country)
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Tim,

Back to the question of Pyrodex, I used it 20 years ago in an original 50-70 Sharps carbine and it did very well. I'd suggest starting with large rifle primers and the cartridge case filled to where the powder just touches the base of the seated bullet. Then increase the powder charge a grain or two at a time until you start getting a good group. If no luck, use a magnum rifle primer. I don't think you'll have any problems though, getting hunting accuracy with Pyrodex.

Rich
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Tim,
You might want to consider joining the Nat'l Muzzle Loading Rifle Assoc. http://www.nmlra.org/nmlrapage.html At the national shoots in Friendship, IN. held in the Spring and Fall, members can purchase BP at reasonable prices. Last Spring they had Goex(inc cartridge), Elephant and Swiss. If you are into smoke poles, you could even enter the competition. A few years ago, the NMLRA allowed BPCR shoots for the first time but BP was not available for this event a couple years ago. Not sure about now.
I usually buy enough to last the year. The downside would be the long ride from Cent. ILL, problably a few hrs, but it might be worth it to go once a year.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Tim,

I was going to suggest the Friendship route as well. Generally, they have someone at the shoot who will open the magazine and sell black during the BPCR monthly matches, as well as the Spring and Fall shoots. Get ahold of Fred Leeth III or someone else from the Miami, OH club for more information.

Also, there is a group shooting BPCR silhouette at Effingham, IL. You might try to get plugged in with that group for small quantities of BP.

Clarence
vopo

Post by vopo »

Tim,

If you live in central Illinois, you may be within a reasonable driving distance from Redmond Powder Co., which is located in Kewanne, IL. They sell Swiss black powder and will sell you 5 lbs. at a time. The phone number is (309)853-5640.

Hope this helps...........