new gun, now what ?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

leadflinger

new gun, now what ?

Post by leadflinger »

I recieved my gun the other day and there are no instructions. I just do not want to do any thing wrong. I have read alot about reloading these (45-110) and have some on hand to try. But I would like to know what steps need to be followed. This is how I think it is done, only open the breach when the hammer is at half cock. Dont dry fire. Store the gun with the hammer down. If any body reads this and has any thing I should or should not do please let me know. Thanks, Can't wait to touch this thing off, but I want to make sure I am doing every thing right.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

leadfinger,

Hold on real tight!!!!

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Maj Bob Lee

Post by Maj Bob Lee »

Leadflinger, I got my Shiloh about 3 weeks ago. I assume it came in a Doskcil case. Look under the foam lining of the case. You should find an envelope with an invoice and basic instructions on loading breaking down and care and cleaning of the rifle.

Maj Bob Lee
"A miltia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms..To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms.." Richard Henry Lee 1788
Maj Bob Lee

Post by Maj Bob Lee »

Leadflinger,
By the way my Shiloh is also a 45-110. Sporting Rifle #1 with 34 inch heavy octagon barrel and I just mounted MVA Long Range Buffalo Soule Tang sight with Hadley eyecup on the tang and an MVA globe with spirit level on the front. Last weekend shot my first loads with a Hoch Creedmore bullet (559grains) and 105 gr Goex Fg. I'm not there yet but shows mucho promise. LIFE IS GOOOOD!!!!! If you enjoy it half as much as I did you will have a hoot!!!

Bob Lee
"A miltia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms..To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms.." Richard Henry Lee 1788
David Kunkel

Post by David Kunkel »

Leadfinger,

I also have a 45-110 34" heavy octagon barrel. We are using a set of redding dies with a Steve Brooks postell 530 gr. home cast bullet over a .060 veg. wad and 92 gr. ffg goex compressed about .250 into Bell brass with fed. 215 primers. These loads are very accurite in two different rifles. My buddy Matt also has the same caliber.

Dave
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

new gun.

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

the first thing to do before fireing is to remove any oil residue or chips etc from bore. use hoppies number 9 and 45 cal brush. never use stainless steel.. i like nylon brushes also at the range. shoot one or two rounds, clean, one or tworounds clean and one or two rounds clean for about 10-20 rouunds to break in barrel... take clean rod with you , clean from the breach or rear only so you dont hurt muzzel rifling.. dont use a steel rod unless you have a bore guide.. keep barrel clean and dry and oiled for a lifetime of enjoyment.. after each new reload check for leading espesially at first.. leading really cousees problems.. if you can get good advice on loads here follow them carefully to stay away from leading.. leading is usually caused by too soft or too hard of bullets.. . a lyman reloading book is a wealth of information.. keep very good notes and write down everything done on each load, and shoot five rounds of each load at target to see how they group.. use the best load until another better one is found.. repeat keep very good records... oil entire gun metal parts after cleaning and drying.. dont let any water set on gun especiallwehn shooting black powder as it will rust very very quickly.. clean black powder out of bore at range before going home.. dry and oil bore.. this is a start,.. a local guns store that has a knoledgeable shooter working there will gladly trade his help and information for simple purchases like primers, patcches powder etc.. anyone who knows guns will be very impressed with your gun if you have a shilo.. i remember when i accidentally hit the stock of my new sharps on my reloading press checking bullet seating depth.. my son was watching tv in the room and said "that must be about a 450 dollar scratch".. it luckily was very tiny, but i told him he doesnt know how true that is.. the first one is the worst.. good luck dave...