45-110 brass

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

David Kunkel

45-110 brass

Post by David Kunkel »

On the support page Norma brass was mentioned for the 45-110. Would someone please give me a name/address or two for a source of norma brass. Reloading and casting my own bullets is turning out to be very rewarding and somewhat challanging.

Thanks,

Dave
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Chris J. Flynn

Post by Chris J. Flynn »

Huntington's in Oroville, CA, the sporting goods store operated by Fred Huntington and his family after RCBS was sold, also stocks Norma brass for the .45-110. Be advised that Norma's case is an extra-long .45 basic case which will require trimming to 2 7/8" (2.875") before loading. They have a website full of brass for exotic calibers and other goodies, and the staff is knowledgeable. (huntingtons.com) Good luck.
David Kunkel

Post by David Kunkel »

Wolfie and Chris,

Thanks for the links and info.

Dave
krems

Post by krems »

David,
I think you will like the quality of the norma brass. I've tried all the various brass in 45-110 shiloh rifles and hands down the brass was more consistant overall for my testing. It was a pain to trim the brass to correct size. I also needed to use a smaller diameter bullet (.457) because the brass is thicker than the others and Shiloh chambers are cut tight. Powder capacity is a few grains less as well but in a 45-110 rifle it doesn't matter. With a .457 bullet the neck area comes out to be .4785/.479" w/ the norma brass and the chamber on my rifle will take a .480 / .481" neck. With swiss 1f and norma brass I'm able to consistantly get extreme spreads on the chronograph of 9-12 fps for 10 shots after firing two fouling shots. This is better than any other rifle I've chronographed. My next project will be a 45-90 w/ swiss 1 1/2F and cut to length norma brass to fit. Has anyone tried the norma brass in a 45-90?..... I'd like to know how it worked. Good luck w/ the Shiloh

Krems
David Kunkel

Post by David Kunkel »

Thanks for the heads up on the neck diameters. I only have one mould and it thows a .459 dia. bullet, a 530 g. postel by Steve brooks. My buddy Matt has three lyman moulds but we have not cast any of those yet so I don't know their actual diameters. I'll order a small quantity of brass and continue my testing!

thanks again,
Dave
Bonanza Driver

Post by Bonanza Driver »

David:

I use Norma Brass for my 45-110 and purchased it from Huntington's. I have been very pleased with the brass and was pleasantly surprised at how little trimming was needed. I shoot a Lyman 457132 Postell that I size to .458 over a .60 poly wad and 108.5 grains of Goex 1F. As long as the case is trimmed to 2.874” AFTER FL sizing and the completed round is FL sized a second time, I have no chambering problems, at all.

All the Best,
Steve
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

i have been checking around for 110 brass and the best norma price I have found is midway.$ 160 something /hundred
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Bonanza Driver

Post by Bonanza Driver »

Powderburner:

I would try Huntingtons. I bought 100 rounds from them about a month ago for just under $.150 per case. The appropriate WEB page is;

(http://www.huntingtons.com/CasesNorma.html)

Part #21123 45 Sharps Basic 2.88" (Bag of 20) $28.98 ea

Hope this helps,
Steve