What bullet mould for 50/90?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mcassill

What bullet mould for 50/90?

Post by mcassill »

Have a #1 Sporter 50/90 coming early next summer; am getting ready to order a bullet mould for it. First, what weight bullet would you recommend for best results (accuracy to 600 yards) in that caliber? Any input as to which of the mouldmakers to go with? Thanks in advance.
Mark
N2

Post by N2 »

mcassill - I purchased my Shiloh 50-90 #1 with the intent to utilize it for long range matches. To date I haven't had that opportunity, only shooting a few silhouette matches with it (that will change next weekend). That puts me about 53 yards short of your requested 600 yard distance. To date this rifle has shown a preference for the 650 gr Brooks Creedmoor bullet over any other. I plan to order a 650 PJ Creedmoor in the very near future, but I'm not sure why as the Brooks has performed quite well (MOA from a bench at 200 yards and 300 meters and almost as well at 500 meters). The 650 Saeco FN has also shot well in my rifle at 200 yards (never put it on paper past that), but not as well as the Brooks and it's more of a hunting design anyway. I have moulds that cast lighter bullets as well, but none of them have shown the potential of the 650's. Another interesting choice may be the 685 Hoch NP Creemoor bullet, but I have no experience with it. Regardless, handled properly and with good loads the 50-90 is as capable as any BPC caliber, it just takes a lot of practice. - Nick
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

mcassill,

My .50/90 Sporter #1 wont go into the line until this spring sometime, however, I had Paul Jones make up a mould for his #50002 650gr Creedmoor.

http://www.pauljonesmoulds.com/50_caliber.htm

This mould, like the other Paul Jones moulds I have, throws a beautiful bullet (and it will go through a 25 pound pot of 30 to 1 alloy surprisingly fast :wink: ). Now then, as I said in my first sentence, my .50/90 will not go into production until this coming spring, so naturally I have not shot any of these yet. But, if it (And I have every confidence it will) shoots like the other Paul Jones bullets I have moulds for, I am going to be very happy. And I'll tell you, Paul's moulds are a real pleasure, and fun to use. He finishes them so well that the bullets come out looking like they are made out of well silvered plate glass. You have to look very carefully under a magnigied light to find a hint of the mould separation line.
Lee Stone
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Lee Stone,

That seperation line is caused by a small vibration in the mould blocks. The vibration comes from opening or a slight tap on the handles , things like that.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ah ha. So, I need to work on and improve my technique. Now I understand why I don't find the separation line on all the bullets, and when it is there, it takes the lighted magnifying glass to see it.

Thanks Kelley.
Lee Stone
mcassill

Post by mcassill »

Good info. Thank you fellows.
Mark