Lead Casting Furnace Questions

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

IronSight,

Not so much a Waage forum as a very good pot for the money. When you cast with a ladle and turn the mould as in what Ken said, it also helps the air escape for a better bullet weight consistency. I use my pot inside with it vented to the outside so I can watch TV and cast in comfort. I used to cast with a plumbers pot and got tired of casing in the excess heat put out by the propane burners and running out of propane when I needed it most and trying to keep that plumbers pot regulated was a pain. A good electric pot will keep the melt at a very consistant temperture.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Ken H., Kelly O,
Thanks, for the info. You guys convinced me. The issue of reducing air pockets by tilting the mold and ladle is what i needed to make this decision. I can see where the bottom pour method could more readily produce voids or air pockets. Looks like a Waage melt pot in my future.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

kelley, hopefully you are watching something like the Western channel or some outdoor channel and not a soap such as How the World Jerks!! :P :lol: I do my casting out in a shed behind the house. TV!! Man what a way to go!! :wink: Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Omaha Poke,

Yep, I set my casting up so I can watch T.V., usualy the news, football or Nascar. For some reason I can't get the outdoor channel on my satalite, keeps saying, searching for channel. I have the pot vented to the outside, no fumes in my office/shop or house :P

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Kelley, good for you :mrgreen: Wish I could do that! I am able to watch tv while preping and priming my brass, etc. Although I am not sure it is going to contribute to the accuracy at all. :P Randy
Randy Ruwe
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Kelley,

What type of venting do you use to move the fumes outside? I rather cast in the basement instead of the garage, but I have been worried about getting lead residue all over the place.

Matt Riehl
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

SharpShtr,

I made a vent from a bathroom fart fan, 200 CFM, and ran a 4" metal flex duct through the ceiling and out through a turbane vent in the roof. I made the hood for the fan, 18" square, and it hangs down from small chains to about a 14" from the pot.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

Kelley,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a set that would allow me to cast more (the garage is a bit too nippy this time of year).

Matt