45-100 LOADING

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GUY FILLINGER

45-100 LOADING

Post by GUY FILLINGER »

I'M BRAND NEW TO THIS SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME.
I HAVE A SHARPS 45-100 SPORTER #1 IN A 32 INCH BARREL AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE LOADING IN THIS CARTRIGE THANKS MUCH GUY FILLINGER
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Guy,

I shoot GOEX Fg in my 2.6". I also have drilled out my flash holes to .096" with a #41 twist bit--you may not want to start there as once you have done it, of course, it is irreversible. To find a starting point with your combination of components, take a case and gently ladle the powder into it until it is heaping full. Gently strike the powder level with the case mouth and weigh that powder. Do it a couple of more times and average the results; this will be your starting powder charge.

Fill the cases via a drop tube. This will give you an initial compaction of about 3/16". The balance of your compression will have to be done using a compression die. I seat my bullets until the last grease groove is inside the case mouth. Since I use Paul Jones Creemoor bullets, this amounts to a fair amount of powder compression which, if attempted by merely seating the bullet, will result in a badly deformed bullet. I use a Federal 215 primer, a milk carton over powder wad with a baker's parchment paper slip sheet between the wad and bullet base, Starline brass, Black Magic lube, and a 25:1 temper for my bullet alloy. This load has generally worked well for me in some local matches in one rifle. Slightly varying it (different powder granulation, different wad, and different primers) and using it in another rifle yielded disasterous results.

The load which works well for me has also worked well for some others who have tried basically the same ingredients and ratios. My opinion here is that the Fg is the key. From it I get adequate velocity to qualify for 1000 yard matches. If you try it, I hope you fiind it a reasonable place to start with your load development. Good luck, Bruce
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

Guy
I also use Fg in my 100 but I use the swiss. 86grs of Swiss Fg .030 Veg. Fiber Wad, Remington Large rifle Primer, and a Paul Jones Creedmore bullet. Oal is 3.5 and very little compression maybe .060. Load produce's 1185fps and low Sd. I have had good luck with the load despite the incosistency that some guys claim they have had with the Remington Primer. I shoot a Shiloh Long Range Express with a 34" barrel. Good Luck Al 8)
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
GUY FILLINGER

45-100 LOADING

Post by GUY FILLINGER »

THANKS FELLAS,

THANK YOU FOR THE LOADING DATA. I WILL PUT IT TO GOOD USE

GUY FILLINGER