casting and bullet weight

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

just for expereince take 5 of your junk bullets at random and shoot a group with them at 100 yards with a good load youve developed..... im not saying to shoot a 1000 yard match with them.. i think loads and other problems cause a lot more havoc than a wrinkel or a coupld grains weight difference will.. i have an article in some old bullet casting books where they drilled holes in different spots on the bullets.. only the holes in the base had a significant effect.. i use marvelux and like it fine.. its ruined one pot on 15-20 years yes, but i cast in my basement and id be chased out of my house if i fluxed the good old way..... good luck dave..
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Randy,
Actually I've got two 349c's. The first one I bought casts the base and second bands at .463" and it weighs 545 grns. It always shot well, but I got a little concerned about the amount of sizing going on when I ran it through a .460" sizing die. So, I called up Walt and he said he could make a mold that would drop a bullet with bands starting at .461". I sent him a check and he sent me the second mold. It drops right at the aformentioned diameter and weighs right at 533 grns. That's the one I will shoot at Machias. The load I posted for you crono's at 1280 fps with an ES of 8 fps and an SD just over 2. It has been known to shoot some very tight groups.
LJ
PS. These weights are cast with 20-1 alloy.