? for Gunny, Ken, Timberlake, Smokin, Jim - Ceramic Media

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

IronSight

? for Gunny, Ken, Timberlake, Smokin, Jim - Ceramic Media

Post by IronSight »

You guys got me goin on this ceramic media.
Nothing like having bright shiney cases at the range - can't prove it yet but i think shiney cases even improve groups. If nothing else their an attitude builder. I tried using rouge/walnut media a while back until i noticed my cleaning patches were coming out red. There is a bright side tho, now i've got the shiniest bore in the area!
Is there any ceramic residue or fine particles left on the cases after tumbling? Do the cases need to be re-cleaned after tumbling with this media - especially if they can be dry tumbled. I'd shudder to think of ceramic material in the bore.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

IronSight,

Rinse the case in clear water, blot dry externally (keeps hard water spots from forming) and completely dry. Fill 'em up and go! Enjoy

TL
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

IronSight,

Timberlake has got it right. Rinse in cold water and dry, there ready to go. Simple Huh?

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ironsight, I may have missed some of the posts on this subject, so if I cover something that has already been discussed, please forgive me. I have used a dry, vibratory tumbler for years. I have used both corn cob and walnut media. Corn cob treated with a capful of Dillons formula, and the walnut treated with a jewlers rouge type compoud. Results have been satisfactory at best.

This past spring, I found out about the ceramic media, and studied up on it as much as I could. The benefits, especially for BP shooters are as follows:

#1 If you decap in the field or at the range, just drop the deprimed case into solution of water and soap. A tablespoon of vinegar may be added to give additional neutralization.

#2 At home, thoroughly rinse the cases, no brushing of the inside of the case is necessary.

#3 Use 1 tsp of cleaning solution mixed with just enough cool water to cover the ceramic media (about 8#'s of media) and add the rinsed cases to the tumbler.

#4 tumble for approx. 4 hours. Dump into a strainer. I have found that a large plastic strainer designed for use with chinese food and sold at chinese grocery stores works very well. The media does not get flushed out of the strainer, and the brass is easy to pick out.

#5 you will find that the inside of each case, the primer pocket, and the outside of each case is the bightest, cleanest brass you have ever seen, including new brass direct from the factory!! And That is no Bull.

#6 you will never again have to clean the primer pocket or spend time scrubbing out the inside of your cases.

#7 the time savings alone will more than make up for the cost of the ceramic media, and it ain't goin to wear out or have to be replaced for more years than I am going to be alive, (I think).

I personally guaranty it. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

You really want shinny case's? If you use the media is a wet type tumbler, when the case's are clean, rinse and throw into a vibratory tumbler with walnut media wet. Let the case's vibrate for about 1 1/2 hours and wa-la very clean case's and no water spots. :) :wink:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Kelley, I haven't had a problem with waterspots. I am not even sure that I know what they would look like. One thing that I forgot to mention is that when I have separated the brass from the media, that I dry them on an old, large bath towel, and while arrange them so that all case mouths are facing the same direction. I then steal - uh- borrow, my wifes hair dryer and in about 5 mins all the brass are clean, dry,and ready to reload.

If I am not in a hurry, I just let them dry on the towel overnight.

Hope this might help someone, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Ironsight,

I rinse my cases after the ceramic tumble and can't imagine that there would be any ceramic particle contamination that would adhere to those wonderfully shiny cases after their bath. I have been known to retumble in cob meal if I goop up the cases with lube to perform some sort of sizing ritual. I think this ceramic media and magic potion sold by Dave is just the cat's pajamas. Now if I only could keep my blow tube looking as good as my cases I'd be in hog heaven. Gimme a minute here, I figure I can come up with another metaphor directly, but I'm having some trouble trying to work 7-UP and sliced bread into something that comports well with either brass or black powder. I'll get back to you, Bruce
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
JeffinKy

Post by JeffinKy »

My brass goes into a soultion of Dawn Dish soap and hot water,
mixed pretty strongly, in a gallon jug about 3/4 the way full.
The cases come out very clean after soaking, and once they are dry, they get tumbled in corn cob with Dillon polish. About 2-3 hours and they are spotless in side and out.

Jeff In Ky.
Harlan Sage

.....ceramic media

Post by Harlan Sage »

If someone would ask where else they could get ceramic media at a good price, I'll post it, but not until someone asks. I don't want to tick someone off with a commercial on this site.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Harlan,
Where Can I get ceramic media at a reasonable price.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

HS

I would like to know where to find some !!! :?: :?: I looked and searched :shock: , all I found was bulk media of 25# too much . Not even on E-Bay !!

RR
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Try Dkittydave@aol.com for info on the media. Better yet, save yourself some hassle and buy one of his kits.

TL
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I was going to not stick my nose into this thread, but I just have to mention this. I have been using Dave's ceramic media for while. I will admit to a certain amount of sticker shock when I first saw the price of the kit. But, I got it any way. The walnut and corn cob that I have is now sitting out in my garage waiting for me to decide what I want to do with it. The ceramic media will not only last the rest of my life, but my grandsons will probably be able to pass it down to their grandsons.

As long as my brass came out of the tumbler (My wife hates it when I call it my vibrator. :roll: ) clean, inside and out, and shiny and slick so it would go through my dies and chamber smoothly, I did not care if the brass was stained. And it was all stained, except for the new brass still in the case that has not been used yet. Well, when the first batch of cases came out of the ceramic media the cases were totally stain free, inside and out, the primer pockets were clean and no media stuck in them and the cases were actually shinier and brighter than my new unused cases still in the box.

I am a firm believer in the ceramic media now and I will not use any other type of media.
Lee Stone
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I've been using Dave's media kit for awhile also, it's the best I've ever seen, I just rinse mine in cold water then lay them out on a towell, and roll them around, no water spots.

Harlen, would you please post the place where you can get the ceramic cheaper?? Thanks.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

Ceramic Media
8 pound pail (free gal. pail with o-ring lid)
8 oz bottle of Tumble Bright (concentrate polishing agent)
$50. for the kit and free shipping

email: harlansage@hotmail.com
Sagebrush, toll free 888-552-7376

Cabela's will have it in their new Spring Shooting Catalog in January.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!