? for Gunny, Ken, Timberlake, Smokin, Jim - Ceramic Media

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RPM

Post by RPM »

Can somebody explain this ceramic media thing to me. Do you use a tumbler or is the pail that comes with the kit what you use? How do you tumble it?
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

RPM,

You use either a tumbler or a vibrating "tumbler" (which is what I use) that is water tight. You put the ceramic media in. It consists of very small ceramic cylinders with angled ends. You then put in cold water so the ceramic media is covered and then add about a teaspoon of the cleaning solution. The first time I used int in my "VIBRATOR" I was cleaning some .45/70 brass that was pretty well stainded from the gunpowder, etch. After about four hours in the above described treatment the brass was totally stain free (walnut media simply gave me shiny stained brass) and was actually brighter and shinnier that brand new brass I in have have in the case that has never even been loaded, much lesst fired.

And I cannot picture this ceramic media ever wearing out. Not in my lifetime anyway.
Lee Stone
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

IronSight, I had some of the same concerns initially as you concerning the ceramic-in-the-bore-thing. However, after I got some of this stuff my fears subsided as the ceramic particles are fairly large uniformly diagonally-cut cylinders. Probably 3X the size of a pencil lead. However, like the posters mentioned above, just to be sure I rinse them in plain tapwater after taking them out. This whole setup is the neatest thing since sliced bread and save me a lot of time. One thing I have noticed if you put a lot of cases in the media and don't put enough of Dave's solution in with it, the cases don't come out as shiny. It works best I think with a rotating tumbler like Thumbler's Tumbler which I got from Cabela's. Good luck!
Harlan Sage

ceramic

Post by Harlan Sage »

I cannot speak for Daves media because I haven't seen it but have heard lot of good things about it, but my media is 1/8" x 11/32" angled cut cylinders of ceramic porclain and you use it wet with a water and burnishing/polishing compound mix. Vibrator or rotory tumbles both work. When using a vibrator it must be a water tight bowl and don't use too much water mix. If the water/mix is splashing around, you are using too much water/mix. When using a rotory tumbler, fill with media and water/mix all the way to the mid point of the drum. This will give you maxium movement.
CAUTION: use ceramic media that is for the purpose of cleaning/polishing your brass cartridges, such as Dave's, Sagebrush or Cabela's. DON'T try to save a "buck or two" by picking up some media from a fabrication shop down the street because there are many types of ceramic media with a variety of shapes and bond finish that could eat up your brass.
No matter where you buy ceramic media, You will never regret it, you have to see it to believe it.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Being a little on the skeptical side, i think i'll wait a year or so and see if you all are casting .465" bullets! :lol: Seriously tho, this stuff sounds great.

As i mentioned, the walnut/rouge can shine a case so good why a person could use it instead of a mirror for shaving.. and in a couple hours! However, to keep the rouge out of the bore, the cases require another soapy water cleaning, especially the innards. Another un-needed BPCR chore. I now use walnut followed up by corn to clean up any remaining walnut particles. But as Lee mentioned, the cases come out shiny stained.

One last question before i try this media, after a number of cleaning cycles, do any of you notice brass particles on the ceramic media or brass particles in the tumbler bin. Since ceramic is much harder than brass, the new concern is case degredation.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

There is no brass degredation. There has been extensive testing of the media before it was put on the market.
Compared to walnut shell, yes the rouge does shine the brass nice, but it still doen't clean the insides and primer pockets like the ceramic. :lol:
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!