Black Powder Subs---

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Capt. Call

Black Powder Subs---

Post by Capt. Call »

OK--My gun should be in my grubby little fingers in about four months--#1 sporter 45-110--Now for my question--everything that I have read so far says that for these guns to shoot well you have to keep the barrel free from any Black Powder fouling---so why is it that nobody wants so shoot any Subs in there guns?----Hodgdon 777--CleaNshot--CleaRshot--Pyrodex--All burn with allmost no fouling compared to any Black that I have shot........
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
odievern

Post by odievern »

i don't think it's so much keeping your barrel free of fouling but keeping that fouling soft with proper blow tubing. :idea:
Without the 2nd amendment, we'd still be British!
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

It's not keeping the barrel clear of fouling, rather using the proper lube to keep the fouling soft, as well as using a blow tube between shots to insure the fouling is sufficiently moist so not to distort the bullet and accuracy. A good majority of the people posting on the Forum compete in NRA black powder events which are BPCR events requiring .. black powder, no substitutes or duplex loads. It is also a fact that the Shiloh's being traditional rifles just kind of feel better when loaded & shot with genuine black powder. It's proven to be extremely accurate, and not all that difficult to clean up after. No buff hunter used cleanshot.
TYRVR

Why not use a "substitute" powder:

Post by TYRVR »

You will find that the difference between the "funny powders" and BP will become apparent to you the more you shoot your Sharps.........soon you will see that shooting "Pyro-Poop" compared to real BP is like comparing a date with a blow-up doll versus a date with Pamela Anderson.......the results may be the same,but..............SON!

Ol'Tye.
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
rdnck

Substitutes

Post by rdnck »

Tye--I couldn't have put it better myself. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Call,

My one and only experiance with a substitute, 777, was a dismal mess. I was interested in shooting a little of the Lever Gun Silhouette, I had a original mdl 73 Winchester in 44-40 and was " advised" that the 777 was the way to go in this BP only Lever Gun. So I go to the local sporting goods guy and have the previlage of paying almost $30.00 for a bottle of this stuff. Load me up a hundred 44-40 and off to the range to test fire my "advised" sure to not miss load and powder. Not only did this thing shot patterns and not groups but the fouling was so bad that it was hard to get a patch down the bore, and these patterns where shot at 50 yds. So I go back to the reloading room load another hundred 44-40 out of a case of Goex 2fg that I had around the shop. Back to the range groups averaged 1 to 2 inches at 50 yds and held pretty close to that at a 100 hundred yds. Clean up was a snap using only water. And that case of Goex bought at the Nationals two years ago cost me $170.00 for 25 lbs.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I will have to add a post script to my above post.

At no time during my shooting session's with either of these powders did I see Pamela Anderson.

Gunny
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

I have found ignition problems with the substitutes, but never with BP. and as far as Pamela Andeson,......Bring me back to Hot Lips Hoolihan, MASH 4077 Loretta Switt
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I dont think Pam is to hot,I think there is a lot of fake there also.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Lead pot, you may be right about the fake, but I don't think I would have any ignition problems with her :wink: Randy
Randy Ruwe
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Naaa Randy, her trigger dont trip my sear :shock:

Kurt
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Lead Pot if you are like me, and her trigger did grip my sear, and I pretty sure my wife would drop my lock box :D Randy
Randy Ruwe
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

OK---lmao----and they say Mayer was a bit of a crank! I understand where you are all coming from but---if all of our forfathers were stuck in this much tradition the buff hunters would have bin using the 69 cal Brown Bess and the Indian would still be holding all land west of the Mississippi!------HEY-----WAIT a Minute---that don't sound toooooo bad!---BP FOR ME!
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

OK guys, I'll admit it--I just outta the loop here. Or maybe I just need to watch the news more or whatever. Maybe a bigger tube to get more sunlight piped in here. I know about Imogene Coca, Jane Russell and '56 chevys, but who in the world is Pamela Anderson?
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

ironrod,

Answer to your question "Who the in the world is Pamala Anderson" Not much and some things I won't say, a wet dream is wasted on her. Fly bait mean anything.
:wink:
Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos