blow tube and cold weather..

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ffffgdave@yahoo.com

blow tube and cold weather..

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

i went to sight in the new hunting load for 200 yards today.. im using 70 grains three f goex and 400 grain 25-1 round nose.. bullets all over the place.. took up to 40 rounds to figure out that i needed to use 6 looooong blows between shots to get her into shooting again.. is this becouse of the three f, the goex, the 70 grains, or the 25 degree low humidity??? i know this is probably all of the above but what will cut it down the most.... sorry no smokless for me.. i prefer all pre 1900 type of materials or substitutes of similar etc etc.. .... i cant remembver if i was using black powder with 56 grains 2f and 500 grain bullet last spring... but i do remember not using over 3 t0 4 blows.. thanks for any comments.. dave..
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Maybe it was the weather, I was using almost the same load you are, except I was loading 75 grains of goex FFFg, and 420 grain Lyman, it shot a real nice group at somewhere around 35 degrees F.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

or my lube aint cutten it...dave
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Dave, that could very well be the problem. I have been using a lube formula from Lee Stone, it works very well for me. Email Lee and he will probably give you the formula, since it is his concoction I don't feel right about giving it out. I think his "new and improved" formula with lube gard would work well for you. It's pretty easy to make your self, and it smells good! :D
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I'll tell you what. I sure smell a lot better than rancid Crisco burned with gunpowder! :roll: Wow, that smell (the rancid Crisco burned with gunpowder) will gag you. It did me and sent me on a search for a much better lube. :wink:
Lee Stone
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

thanks..

Ken and Lee, thankyou very much for your help... its great guys like you and the others here and on the line, in the field,who for no gain whatsoever other than the enjoyment of helping people, that make this sport what it is... dave schlick, helena montana...