Learning Curve at the Range!!

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

mr trigger, thankyou ever so much for that bit of info on sight radius and adjustment.. i use drill bits broken off and put into both ends of 3/8 inch dowels and then stuck in a bullet sock along with very short blow tube and bullets. you can put the bit nder the side of the slide, or under the slide center for quick precise sighting in at different ranges.. works great for me.. and your info will help alot on the range getting te right bits for the right range adjusted.. thanks dave.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Jeffinky, hey it's great to see you on the forum again, you must'a changed your alias?? I wanted to thank you for your help yesterday at the shoot, your spotting was GREAT!! Thanks again. After you left I missed all 10 on the offhand shots, bummer!! I just could not hold the rifle steady, Tony said I never missed over 2" on all 10 shots!, but a miss is a miss. That was real disappointing after hitting 12 in a row!! Oh well, maybe next time.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
bubba

Post by bubba »

He may have been disapointed, but he never did quit grinnin'! :lol:
JeffinKy

Post by JeffinKy »

Ken,

I decided to change back to my old Pedersoli tang sight because
i am tired of not being able to read the stupid scale in the C.Sharps Mid-range that i have been using. I will have to drill out the hole i the eyecup a bit larger to make it more usable.
I transposed the sight settings from the C.Sharps sight to the
Pedersoli sight, and came up with the following numbers:

219 - .39

265 - .48

328 - .56

400 - .74

I am sure that these are just "Ball Park" settings for now,
but i might try to shoot it next weekend if i can get out to Joe's on sunday and dial it in for some better numbers.
Hopefully i will have some beter results next months shoot.

Bubba, where are you getting your bullets from??
I may may need a source for some bullets, or i may have to begin casting my own.

All for now, Jeff
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Jeffinky, those are exactely the same settings I came up with except the 400 yards, I used 76 instead of 74. I'm leaving for TX on Thursday, otherwise I would come over and we could make you some bullets, I just bought a new Waage pot and some Lyman molds to try. Also a new ladle and thermometer. I am eventually going to get Paul Jones to make me a 535 creedmore mold, but I've spent too much on other stuff for now. :D
Shiloh Rules!!
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I forgot to tell you, I got the bullets that I was shooting Saturday from Dave Jennings of Montanna Bullet Works, mtleadhead@aol.com, I think they are like $11.00 for 50 plus shipping.
Shiloh Rules!!
JeffinKy

Post by JeffinKy »

Ken,

I may have to take you up on that bullet making offer.
I could head out your way and make a day of it.
I was thinking about trying that Lyman bullet mould that Joe had for sale at the shop. Let me know when you get back from Texas.

Have a safe trip.

Jeff in Ky.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Jeffinky, Ok, I'll be in TX until April, so you might want to get some bullets otherwise. After paying for the shipping on a couple of boxes I figured I could pay for the pot and molds and other stuff pretty quick. It was only going to take about 10 boxes of shipped bullets to be the same money as everything I bought to make my own. We (Lee Stone) got the lead from Exide battery company in LA and I bet there is one around here, I know there is in St. Louis, I used to buy a lot of BIG batteries for the Telephone Company from them.
Shiloh Rules!!