Source for long 45/2.1 cases

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Vic

Source for long 45/2.1 cases

Post by Vic »

I'm currently using Remington brass for my no. 3 in 45/2.1. Most of them spec out to 2.090 length. I'd like to try some brass that is trimmed to fit the chamber. Is there a source for brass that is a little bit long, so you can trim it to exactly fit your chamber? Thanks.

Vic
arnie

Post by arnie »

Hi Vic ,good luck finding longer 45/70 cases now days .They used to make them longer than 2.1 and you had to trim them but i think the factory must have sped up there machinery and are now making them shorter or maybe the shorter lenght takes one step out of there factory loaded ammo .I have a 40/65 with along chamber and wound up ordering some stretched brass from Buffalo Arms .They sent me some that they stretched to 45 - 2.25 to make there 40/70Bn out of but i got them before they formed the necks on them .These worked fine and ended a lead ring problem in the chamber i was having .I doubt that .010 short cases will ever cause you a problem .Before you go to all that trouble you need to pour a chamber casting to see exactly how long your chamber is .Arnie
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I don't know just how long you want the brass to be, but I bought 200 cases from starline last year and it is a full 2.10 inches. I always trim mine to 2.095. Call them and ask them if they have any looooooong 45 2 1/10.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Vic

Thanks

Post by Vic »

Thanks for both suggestions. I ordered some Cerrosafe to take a chamber cast. Once I measure the chamber, I'll call Starline and see if I can order some extra long 45/2.1 cases. If not, I can always experiment by buying a box of 45/2.4 brass and cutting them back... Thanks.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

All the remington brass I've tried is short, mine in 45-70 is like 2.080. I like the starline, it is 2.10, same as my chamber. I have a cerrrosafe cast of my chamber and it is exactely 2.10 as well as I can measure it. Shiloh sporter #1.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter