First Shots With PP Bullets

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Dr Backstrap

First Shots With PP Bullets

Post by Dr Backstrap »

Had the chance between the morning hunt and Thanksgiving dinner to shoot a few rounds using paper patched bullets (10 to be exact) that I loaded up the other day.
At 100 yds. I got a fairly nice round group with 7 shots printing within a four inch bull...3 flyers, one at 7 o'clock and two touching each other at 9 o'clock. All shooting done with the hunting sights that are on the rifle right now.
I noticed three grease cookies laying on the ground about 15 yds. down range that did not burn up...is that normal? Also found three of the paper patch bases in the same area. Does this explain the flyers?
The load I tried is as follows...
510 gr. tapered .450" dia. lead bullet patched w/ .002" paper
Winchester case trimmed 2.1"
68.0 gr. Goex Cartridge compressed .20"
0.030" fiber wad over the powder
SPG grease cookie
0.060" fiber wad over grease cookie
Federal 215 primer
OAL 2.90"
Brent

Post by Brent »

Doc, that sounds about normal.

You should look at your patches more closely. Do they look sliced or torn?

Grease cookies 15 yds down range are not unusual. Not all the grease necessarily is used and it has enough mass to go a ways. If you use a heavy card wad between powder and grease this will be more common. I use wax paper between powder and grease and thus, I can use less grease and more of it is spread on the barrel.

If you were shooting without cleaning between shots, I would guess that your group size opened up as you shot more.

Brent