Hoch molds

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Manny Clothakis

Hoch molds

Post by Manny Clothakis »

What are the opinions from the board regarding this mold? Would appreciate all comments. Thinking about 500 grain for my 45-70, thanks for the info.
Manny
dryfly

Post by dryfly »

Have two of his molds for .38, one a pope style, the other a 350 gr for silhouette. Make fine bullets that work well in my rifle. For my .45 I am very happy with Paul Jones Creedmoor.
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Hoch moulds are fine, only it will take a looooooooooooong time to get one :cry: Paul Jones moulds are better. :D

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Maj Bob Lee

Post by Maj Bob Lee »

I just got one of the Hoch .45 Cal. Creedmore molds. I've only cast two runs of bullets from it. Produces good consistant bullets and I sure like the look of the bases but to do this, at least this mold, has to have the melt pretty hot (800 degrees) and the blocks have to be hot also. So when they get up to temp you've got to crank out the bullets as fast as possible to not let the blocks cool. Hope this helps.

Maj Bob Lee
NRA
NMLRA
SASS
"A miltia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms..To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms.." Richard Henry Lee 1788
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Have two of Hoch's moulds. They cast great bullet. But like Maj. Lee says you have to run them a little hotter than a base pour mould. You have to keep both the top and bottom plate hot, or the bases of the bullet will not feel out. The last mould I got from him, it took about 8 months. But now Midway www.midwayusa.com has some of his moulds in stock. They cost about $12.00 to $15.00 lets than if you order them form Hoch. If you order a Hoch mould make sure you have a set of him handles, as they work better this way. Hope this helps.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
qwerty

Post by qwerty »

I have the hoch mold you are talking about nose pour 500 grain bought from midwayusa ( they have it in stock) cast really nice base . I'm new at casting ,only cast about 220 bullets with it , got about 50 good ones . don't have it figured out yet . haven't shot the bullet waiting on my 45 90 maybe this spring .
JAMES HART

a handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains.
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

I gotta chime in with Kelly on this one I have used Hoch, Brooks, Saeco, Nei, and Lyman. With out a doubt the Jones moulds are the best and easiest to use. Some of the others are good but I like Paul's the best Al
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground