Load developement for new Shiloh

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

deerhuntsheatmeup

Load developement for new Shiloh

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

OK guys and girls, this will be a fairly long post on load developement for my new Shiloh 45 2 1/10th.

Conditions were good with a steady wind 8-10 mph constantly out of the northwest. Bright sunshine blue sky day.

All loads were loaded in Remington full length sized brass and primed with Fed Gold Match 210 primers.

I checked for fouling as well as group size with each load. I shot Goex Cart, Goex ffg, and Wano ffg. The Goex perfomed best overall, I was surprised at the soft fouling with the Wano but did not find a accurate load with the Wano. The bullets I used were 457125 and 457132 and a 405 grn flat nosed hunting bullet. I used 9 different combo's for each bullet using from 65 grns of powder up to 72 grns. Each load was compressed with a homemade die and a .030 fiber wad on top of powder. I shot the gun 40-50 times to wear in the barrel a bit as this is a brand new gun but I got good results right from the start. I could tell you all the exact details of each load but will generalize a bit and tell you some of our conclusions. The Goex ffg and Lyman bullets shot very well and was consistent with fouling always soft and accuracy was good. The Wano as mentioned before was soft fouling but not as accurate. More research needed but probably won't get done. I have 25 lbs of Goex ffg in bulk and I was glad to have my best load be shot with this powder.

Here is where I need to give other credits. rdnck had given me a load that shoots great in 5 other Shilohs and I used this load as one of my test loads. This load was the 5th in line with the Postell bullets and Goex powder. I put 4 Lyman 457132 in the same hole at 100 yards. The guy I had spotting for me was Lee Burrow, formerly of the MS Air Nat'l Guard pistol team, and he was in a state of shock. The group is under moa and I don't think I need to test Wano or anything else until I use up this lot of powder. Thanks rdnck . I also found a very accurate hunting load with a 405 grn flat nosed bullet and 65 grns of ffg Goex. I would not hesitate to use this load on chickens.

The Lyman 457125 shot consistent all day but the Postell made magic. I was calling my shots on a 6 inch trapdoor swinger at 300 yards with the Postell and 70 grns of Goex ffg.

Anyone wanting to see the proof of this group email me with a fax number and I will send it to you. I faxed a copy to Kirk this morning and thanked him for such a fine rifle.

Well enough for now, more bullets to cast and I got dirty brass to clean. Later, David Barfield
squire pickett

Post by squire pickett »

Good evening all,

DH came by the office today to show me the group. Lee was right by cutting out the group at four when he went down to check the target. I know Lee, he is a nationally ranked competitor, and he was spotting. David put two shots in one hole. The third was so close Lee went down to check the target. The third shot was barely out of the two one holer. After the fourth shot Lee went down again to make sure the spoting scope wasn't lying. Lee then cut out the group from the target and brought it back. That's why we have a four shot group rather than a five shot.

I have a xerox of the group as I post. The group is less than four dots of a number two pencil eraser borrowed from my fourth grader. Less than MOA, a testament to Dave's shooting ability and Shiloh rifles right out of the box.

A word about where credit is due. The rdnck and I have some differences of opinion, I like Farrows, he likes '74s, but Bill has been very generous with his time and help in assisting myself and my fellow shooters with their quest for better accuracy. We all have to try different stuff, if only to satisy our curiosity, but the load that Bill first suggested resulted in this excellent group that David shot.

I genuienly respect a guy who only gives first hand opinions.

Regards,
Squire
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Was that the load you posted above?? If it isn't could you share the load specifics with us, please. I would sure like to try it, the Lyman postell is what I shoot also. Thanks.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
deerhuntsheatmeup

load

Like I said Rem brass full sized with a Fed 210 Match primer, 70 grains ffg Goex, drop tubed and compressed enough to just cover the grease grooves, no crimp except what the bullet seating die did. SPG was the lube and I lubri size at .458. .030 vegi fiber wad on top of the powder and bullet cast out of 30-1 at 750 degrees. That is the magic load. Later, David Barfield
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

David...Joe says ya shot the group from 13 yards using a bench rest and 3x9 scope....then he said ya did it free hand...then he said ya did free hand shooting over your shoulder and using a mirror? I gotta know which method you used to get that small group.........Did I mention we freely partook of the "lube" prior to discussing your prestigious accomplishment and shooting abilities? :wink: He also says that your Shiloh is a real pretty peice of work. Other than the seating depth we are shooting a very similar load. I am really likin' 70 grains 2f Goex......I may try seating mine a little deeper. I have always liked covering the lube grooves when possible....Hmmmm, ya got me thinkin' about tinkerin' with my dies and that is a dangerous thing........ :D
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Naaa nohorse,I think what happend was Lee didn"t see any holes with that scope with the front lens cover on,so he ran down range with a .45 caliber carpenters pencil :roll: :lol:

Kurt
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Lead Pot, could be........ I hear he's real sneaky and fairly prone to exagerate a story.......Hmmmmmmmm how 'bout it Squire? Do you have the "real" story behind that small group? :wink:
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
deerhuntsheatmeup

gotta post before this thread disappears

Guys, I am new to this game but I feel like I can hold my own partly due to some help I have gotten. Partly because I have been a decent shot my whole life. I would invite whomever to Gobblers Knob for a cookout/shoot out to 300 yrds whenever Lee will let us. Also, a .22 match would be fun, Ya'll aren't scared are you? Don't be, we are not gonna shoot for too much money. LOL It is fun putting the smiley face on the 6" swinger at 300 yards tho. Ya'll think about it before this thread goes away. Later, David Barfield
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

David,

You're getting far too cocky, shooting such a great group right out of the box. You need to get over to Pascagoula and get that rifle on paper at 600 yds. I think it will be cool (by Pascagoula definitions) this weekend. Some of that great mirage and a little competitive pressure will get those groups opened up so you don't repeat that performance!

Then again, you may find out you can drive tacks at 600!

Clarence
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

David,

Seriously, that is great shooting, and I can't wait to see the new baby!

Clarence
deerhuntsheatmeup

This weekend....

Clarence, Are you guys staying in a motel or driving back and forth? Let me know....I am trying to make up my mind. I don't have 600 yard settings but it won't be hard to figure out. Kidding aside I am lucky to have a combo that works so well, rifle and load that is. You guys that got me into this have alot of questions to answer for to Mrs. Kimberly,(wife)she was told that this was not an expensive hobby, I don't remember who told her that.....musta been Squire or somebody, I don't remember. Anyhow I hope to see ya'll this weekend, maybe it will work out. Later, David Barfield
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

deerheatsmeup,

If'n I was in your neck of the woods that be a fun deal, shooting against you and earning some pocket money :D , I haven't seen your group on your target and I'll take your and the squirepickets word for it. Maybe you should bring that rifle and ammo an come to the Kenny W. & The Gunny's grudge match in may and shoot for a Shiloh. I'm planning on going and shooting, yep, going to put my money were my mouth is. The Gunny is trying to get enough guy for a scope match and if enough guys shoot the scope another Shiloh rifle will be shot for, Soooooooo I'll shoot two class's. Will be fun and interesting. :wink:

HEY, BILL BAGWELL, now's your chance, put some of your small change up and shoot for a Shiloh, thats called a dare :D :roll:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
deerhuntsheatmeup

grudge match...

Now Kelley, Don't go pickin' on us simple minded country boys. You being a world class shooter and all, I feel sure I can't measure up to your standards. But, I ain't scared! Dumb maybe, but not scared. Come on down and we'll shoot. I always got a few bucks to donate. And I can always use a few bucks. You may win the shoot but down here it is an acceptable practice to provide enough adult refreshments to our guest that they sleep deep enough for us to sneak in and get our money back during their nap. Don't let that bother you tho, Other than that we are fairly nice guys and girls. I can't make the May shoot at Kenny's tho, I am gonna be hog hunting in Hawaii. Dammit, that shoot will probably be way more fun. LOL Later, David Barfield
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

deerheatsmeup,

I don't think I've ever met a simple minded country boy and the last one got me into trouble,you hear that GUNNY :shock: ..I'd like to at least shoot all the match's around this good country of our's, before I kick the bucket, and meet the guys, including you and the squirepickett, that squire has got to be a 1st. rate charcter. :D :wink:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Allright Daivid....if we can agree on a time and a place, Joe and I will give ya a run....even with his homemade front sight!! [Have Crown..uh, I mean lube....will travel :wink: ]. Were gonna have to work things around huntin' season though, it's hard to get my shootin' pards too far from those condo deer stands. If ya go to Pascagoula, drop me an email when ya get home! Can't wait to hear how ya did!
Shiloh #1!
Guns: