44-77 cases

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Anselmo Kid

44-77 cases

Post by Anselmo Kid »

Buffalo Arms shows cases for Sharps, Remington, and Shiloh in 44-77 BN. What are the differences? I am getting an old Remington Rolling Block SRC running; by chamber cast believe it to be 44-77, bore about .446. But what components do I buy? Thanks for your help.
Anselmo
SASS Life
NRA Life
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Anselmo,

I don't know for certain, but I'll bet the difference is in the rim thickness. I have used some of their .44 basic for forming .43 Spanish (my chamber allows cartridge length of 2.555" vs. the nominal 2.25") and I know it comes in ~0.060" and ~0.090" rim thicknesses (probably at least one more, too). Measure the thickness of your rim recess, talk to Dave or Skip and order the right rim thickness. It's good brass, and I think you'll be satisfied.

If you use brass with too thin a rim, it's like excess headspace and you'll have very short case life, with case stretch only slightly less than the amount of slop in the rim recess.

Clarence
singleshotman

44-77

Post by singleshotman »

Back about 30 years ago my dad borrowed a Remington Rolling Block Creedmore a gun dealer my trying to sell-he said shoot it-I used 44-77
cases made from 43 mauser cases( the rims were about .090 thick), many old guns are found cut for FOLDED HEAD CASES which used VERY THICK RIMS, if it's a new one then .060 will be fine.-i found out this problem in shooting at least four old rifles- all of them gave excess headspace when shooting modern brass-just because they still make it doesn't mean it fits.
N2

Post by N2 »

AK - As suggested, it's rim thickness. My first purchase was the "original" thickness. All of those rims had to be uniformed to .067", most of which no longer have a readable head stamp, in order to chamber. The "Shiloh" cases all chambered without uniforming. Nice case even if a little pricey, but then the alternatives are even moreso. - Nick
Anselmo Kid

Post by Anselmo Kid »

Thanks. You all have it right. My rim thickness measures about .096, and Skip at Buffalo Arms confirmed that rim thickness is the difference in the cases. Components are on their way.
Anselmo
SASS Life
NRA Life
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

Anselmo,

My best guess is that if you have a Remington Rolling Block in a military configuration with either a .430 or a .446 bore, it is likely chambered for either 43 Spanish or for 43 Reformado. It is highly unlikely that it is 44/77BN, since every one I've ever seen has been in a commercial sporting rifle. The cartridge cases are very similar.

OLR
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

....oooopppps .... I meant a .439 nominal bore diameter, and NOT .430

sorry.

OLR
Anselmo Kid

Post by Anselmo Kid »

OLReliable-
You are probably right. This carbine has all of the export earmarks: 20.5 inch barrel, 1/3/5 tip up barrel sight, front dovetailed barley corn, saddle ring and bar, no sling swivels, front barrel band with bottom spring release.

The 5 land and groove configuration makes bore measurement difficult. Where is the formula to do that?

Chamber cast measurements are spot on, however, for 44-77 neck diameter of .467, per Donnelly, Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions. This one measures .470 to .467, rear to front. 43 Spanish is.455. Slugging the bore yields measurements somewhat larger than a 43 Spanish bore slug (from an Argentine I foolishly traded off with all the brass and dies).

I may have the wrong parts coming. We'll see.
Anselmo
SASS Life
NRA Life