Powder Screening

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RPM

Powder Screening

Post by RPM »

I"m new to the forum and fairly new to black powder cartridge. I was wondering what opinions were out there on screeing powder. I'm shooting Goex FFg in a 45-70 for 600 yard matches. Is there really great value in screeing black powder?
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

RPM,
I think it depends mostly on the brand of powder. They all have "fines", but some have more then others. I've screened both Goex and Elephant. At the time, the Goex FG had quite a bit of fines that went thru the screen for 3F. I can't say this had a great effect on my scores, as I use the FG for silhoutte. I have not screened powder in a few years and have switched to Swiss powder for most uses. I believe screening just adds one more step to the loading process that is not necissary. Today there are several brands of powder available mostly via mail order. I shoot mostly LR 800 - 1000 yd matches with an occasional silhouette match thrown in for good measure. Good luck. Frank M.
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

RPM,
In my experience, accuracy with both Goex and Elephant was improved by screening. I have shot only Swiss and Elephant for the last two years and have found no benefit to screening Swiss.
LJ