Help Needed For Reloading New 50-70 Shiloh

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Nick B

Help Needed For Reloading New 50-70 Shiloh

Post by Nick B »

I just received my letter from Shiloh stating my #3 50-70 is ready to be built. Before it shows up I want to get all the loading gear I'll need for this caliber. I plan on using a Paul Jones 450 grn. 50-70 mould but what size die for Saeco sizer ? Also what loading dies ? I read in Mike's book that you can run into trouble getting modern dies to size brass to the right size for modern 50-70 barrels. How about the new Lyman 50-70 dies ?
Thanks, Nick
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

I have no experience w/ a .50-70.

As for determining the appropriate sized sizing die, when your rifle arrives, determine its bore size by slugging the bore. First thoroughly clean the bore, then place some rolled newsprint in the chamber & close the action. Drive a large pure lead round ball thru the barrel until it's "caught" by the newsprint. Measure the land & groove dia. w/ a vernier caliper, or take it to a local machine shop & have them measure it.

If you are concerned about the chamber dimensions vis-a-vis sizing dies, I would ask Shiloh what they recommend. Or you could make a chamber cast, measure the casting, & then contact the various die makers as to whether their die(s) will work….
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

Nick,

My Shiloh Saddle Rifle in 50/70 is just over a year old and I use RCBS dies I bought 25 years ago to load for an original Sharps carbine. The dies work great for both the original (a percussion Sharps military carbine relined after the Civil War) and the Shiloh.

Kirk had said that his 50 caliber barrels take .512 diameter bullets. My rifle shoots .512 bullets very well in weights from 450 to 550 grains but it also really likes 450 gr. bullets sized to .515 from an old Lyman mold.
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Nick,

Both of my Shilohs a 50-70 and a 50 2 1/2 have a bore size of 0.508". If you will go back through some of the old post under Support. You will find that this is what Kirk says, that this is the bore size. So, don't order a sizer die any larger than 0.509". Have both Lyman and RCBS dies, they both work good. But have never used Lyman's Cowboy Dies. So, can't give you a report on them. Had both of my die sets for over 10 years. Hope this helps.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Croft Barker of Flatonia, TX has a book out dedicated to the 50-70. I don't have this book but I have another one of his books and I'm very well pleased with it. When I order my 50-70 the next thing I order will be Croft's book. He advertises in the "Black Powder Cartridge News" or just call informatin in Flatonia and ask for him, he is a real nice guy to talk to on the phone.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter