PRIMERS and the NRA

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

buffalocannon

PRIMERS and the NRA

Post by buffalocannon »

I just finished reading the Winter 2003 "BPC News" and I must say that I was surprised by several things in the publication. One was in the rather excellent article by Mr. Glodt on "Primers" wherein he indicated that, based upon his experiment, he obtained the best accuracy with the 536-grain Jones from the Remington 9-1/2. What also surprised me was that the best standard deviations for the different primers did not necessarily coincide with the smallest groups. All very confusing but just about right for BPCR. I would have bet that the best standard deviation would also be predictive of the best accuracy. I assume that Mr. Glodt used the ever present .45-70 for his experiment. Should I assume that the results would also stand for a, for instance, .45 X 2.6? I must confess that I have experimented with the Federals, the CCIs, and the Winchesters, but have never thrown the Remingtons into the mix? My experiments seem to show that the old tried and true Federal 215s give me the BEST ACCURACY with my .45 X 2.6, but I have not tried the Remington 9-1/2. Information anyone?

The other surprise was the 2003 Quigley results. Out of 465 shooters, only 175 were NRA members? Can these statistics be correct? I also have a few problems with the NRA but I would NEVER let my membership lapse. Perhaps we should be looking at a REQUIREMENT that participants in American shooting events be members of the NRA? Or at least we could lower the entrance fee for members? The lack of participation in the ONLY outfit out there that is trying to protect our 2nd Amendment rights concerns me. You guys should either join up or learn to speak Chinese.

"Both the oligarch and the tyrant mistrust the people and therefore deprive them of their arms." Aristotle 322 B.C.
TYRVR

Remington Primers:

Post by TYRVR »

Hello Steve!
I used Rem.Magnum rifle primers in my trap-door rifles for many years, always did okay, I even tried them in my 45-100, didn't see any drastic improvement, but didn't see any reduction of accuracy either, I switched to the 210Ms for everything a year or so back simply because I have so many of them and use them in all my rifles,

Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

Steve
You and I have traded secrets before and had fun with the pink lube comments. I have been using the Remington Primers for my 100 for quite awhile. I use the pistol primers in the 45-70. I have shot very well with the 70 for me anyway with the pistol primers. I have also read several articles on the net that the Remington primers don't test a well as the others. Well they may not test as well as the others in a primer test but in the loaded round they sure have shot well for me. Al :D
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I use Remington for smokeless, but Federal 210 gives noticeably better accuracy with black, in MY rifle. Magnum and pistol primers do not signify, in MY rifle.