Recoil

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rjohns

Recoil

Post by rjohns »

I work overseas where I have no ability to see or handle one of these fine firearms, however that did not hinder my desire to own one, and ordered a #1 in July. I continually read the forum, and have found it a wealth of information. My question about recoil is a relative thing, I know. I realize that a .45 long range bullet will weigh approx 1.2 ounces, and body shape and stock shape, and shooting position will all affect felt recoil. But what does it compare to? Are we talking a 12 guage 3" magnum with slugs, a 30-06, or what? I own a .45 muzzle loader and am aware of the push of blackpowder rather than the sharper recoil of smokeless, but I have read posts of shooters worried about taking too much punishment from the bigger calibers.
I ordered a .45 - 2.4" and am confident that I will be able to tolerate the recoil, but passing ten months to a year's wait leaves a man with many things to ponder and wonder. I also see how you can easily end up with more than one of these.
Thank you again for the vast wealth of information this forum provides.

Ryan
bryany

Post by bryany »

I would compare my 45-2.4 to the 12 ga mag in felt recoil. I hope you chose the shotgun buttstock. In prone shooting, the recoil is a noticable issue when using the military butt. Off hand and sitting isn't too bad. Using BP, you are right to be thinking of it as a big push instead of a sharp smack to the shoulder.

Bryan
rjohns

Post by rjohns »

Bryany,
Yes, I did order the shotgun buttstock after reading much debate on this forum. The military vs. shotgun butt was the deciding factor between a Montana rough rider and the #1 Sporter. Even so, sounds like I better get the dental work checked. Thanks.
Ryan
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Yea, the recoil would be comparable to a mag. shotgun. The thing with the recoil and these guns is, we shoot 90% of the time from the prone position and thats a different felt recoil because the body doesn't give as much. I've been thinking, (no comments :roll: ),guys have posted about the size of the man shooting these rifles having an effect,well I believe it's true. My good friend Gunny is a big man and extremely strong,I believe I can stand more recoil then Gunny, just because my body gives more then his does, now this doesn't make me tougher or any more pain intolerant then Gunny, it's just we're built different,I'm actualy a smaller version of him. Another thing to think about, the recoil of these rifles is accumulitive. Meaning when shooting a few rounds of ammo, say 10 to 20, thats not going to fatigue a shooter, now shoot 300 rounds of ammo over three or four days, as I just did, the fatigue and accumulative factors pop up. I also believe a days shooting in a match is minimual and won't punish or fatigue a shooter all that much. Silhouette matches are 40 shots, so shooting 75 shots for the day, which includes sighters and practace isn't much punishment. A typical one day buffalo match is 40 shots, so with sighters and record shots its going to be a 80 shot day, so again not that bad. Those two type matches are shot over a 6-hr. period making the accumulitive recoil less felt.

I think some guys use to much gun for what they intend to shot, taking more punishment then they need. :idea:

Thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it :wink:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Yea, the recoil would be comparable to a mag. shotgun. The thing with the recoil and these guns is, we shoot 90% of the time from the prone position and thats a different felt recoil because the body doesn't give as much. I've been thinking, (no comments :roll: ),guys have posted about the size of the man shooting these rifles having an effect,well I believe it's true. My good friend Gunny is a big man and extremely strong,I believe I can stand more recoil then Gunny, just because my body gives more then his does, now this doesn't make me tougher or any more pain intolerant then Gunny, it's just we're built different,I'm actualy a smaller version of him. Another thing to think about, the recoil of these rifles is accumulitive. Meaning when shooting a few rounds of ammo, say 10 to 20, thats not going to fatigue a shooter, now shoot 300 rounds of ammo over three or four days, as I just did, the fatigue and accumulative factors pop up. I also believe a days shooting in a match is minimual and won't punish or fatigue a shooter all that much. Silhouette matches are 40 shots, so shooting 75 shots for the day, which includes sighters and practace isn't much punishment. A typical one day buffalo match is 40 shots, so with sighters and record shots its going to be a 80 shot day, so again not that bad. Those two type matches are shot over a 6-hr. period making the accumulitive recoil less felt.

I think some guys use to much gun for what they intend to shot, taking more punishment then they need. :idea:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

rjohns,

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

There's that stupid echo again :oops:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Dave Shaw

Recoil

Post by Dave Shaw »

Kelly :D

It helps if you put the beer down first!!!

Will post to you soon regarding confirmation of my trip :D