Recoil

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bryany

Post by bryany »

gees, Kelly, you win

I know we all have opinions and some of them are pretty dear to our hearts but posting the same thing that many times appears to have struck a nerve.

Prone for a steady diet of sillywet matches would seem like a beating. Sitting cross-sticks aint too bad and off hand don't matter to me. Doing prone once in a while is just something you have to try for yourself. As an all around cartridge, the 2.4 does a bunch of things pretty well and I especially like it for long range matches. There is also something pretty cool about hunting with one too, even if my hunting ranges are fairly short.(200 yards) Hitting steel at 800 yards is a blast but there is more forgiveness in an iron buffalo than a live critter for a poor hit.

Bryan
Wyoming
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Thanks David, it was the Scotch :lol:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Kelley, by the score you posted at your shoot at Pala, your trigger finger wasn't working as bad as your mouse finger seems to be doing. :lol: :P :lol: Randy.

PS good information even though it was posted 10 times :P :lol:
Randy Ruwe
Coydog B.

Post by Coydog B. »

When it comes to the effects of recoil, I don't know if I'd value the opinion of a man that's developed such a bad flinch that his "return" finger stutters :shock:

Chuck
"Your Mileage May Vary"
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Well HaHaHaHa to you guys to :?
Mr.Coydog B., I thought you were picking coffee beans :wink: :roll:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Pitspitr

Post by Pitspitr »

Hey Kelly

It's ok to stick to your story

We value your opinion
Jerry M. Davenport

I said, "I never had much use for one."
I never said I didn't know HOW
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

Kelley
I'm thinking maybe we should start our own club: Fumble Fingers
Anonymous! :D :oops: :D
I'm thinking maybe we should start our own club: Fumble Fingers
Anonymous! :D :oops: :D :D :D
By the way, holidays are booked for "THE MATCH"!
Will be leaving here the 24th or 25th of May. Will be off till the 14th of June. If am there in time, would like to help Kenny set up if he needs. We want to go to Cody to the museum afterwards. Any other side trips recommended? Will be stopping in Big Timber on the way back for sure! LeRoy.
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

recoil

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

i have to respectfully dissagree about recoil that many of those here agree on.. :roll: maybe the difference would be the weight of the guns.. :shock: if the 12 gauge weighed the same as a 45 70 then it may kick similar.. id have to say that the 45 70 with black powder kicks less than a 30-06.. a 12 gauge mag shoots about a an ounce and a quarter to ounce and a half at about 1220 to 1330 in my hodgdons book.. with smokeless it all burns in about 12 inches of barrel.. .. shooting a 12 gague magnum slug prone in a 7 pound 870 could do some real body or teeth pain :x ... my hodgdons shows a 1 1/8 oz slug up to 1400 fps.. with black powder and a gun with some heft to it you will not have much trouble with recoil if youv shot 30-06 with success.. shooting prone definitly makes a big difference in felt recoil.. it seems to plant the recoil right on the shoulder.. ive been shooting for many years but jsut started bp 45 70 about a year ago and dont think youl have any problem if your familiar with modern rifles.. good luck dave... :D
rjohns

Post by rjohns »

ffffgdave,
I was wondering about that. A 45-90 shooting an ounce to ounce and 1/4 bullet but with twice the gun weight of a shotgun shooting an ounce to ounce 1/4 projectile at comparable velocities would be about half as much recoil. Throw in the burn rate, and it could maybe possibly figure out to about 1/4. Force = mass x acceleration.
Acceleration of smokless is roughly 2x that of black for simplicity. So the force exerted on the gun by the bullet leaving would be twice that of black powder. Now the force exerted on the shooter by the gun would be twice again if the shotgun weighs half as much. A half of a half is a quarter.
I also know that sometimes these calculations do not reflect what is actually felt or perceived in reality. I was just trying to put some imagined feeling behind all the imagined shots I have been shooting.
Either way, when I finally get to shoot it, when the smoke clears, I will be smiling. The tear in my eye could be happiness or the need for one of those recoil pads Lee Stone mentioned.
Thanks Again,
Ryan

Kelly O. I would be careful doing online shopping with a clicker finger like that. Coydog got me wondering if perhaps that gun did get you punch drunk or something. Made me nervous about what I am getting into.
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,,,,,,,Come on Guy's,guy's guy's guy's , dam this thing :lol:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Pitspitr

Re: recoil

Post by Pitspitr »

[quote="ffffgdave@yahoo.com"].. id have to say that the 45 70 with black powder kicks less than a 30-06.. [/quote]
I respectively disagree Dave. Then again it might be the rifle too.

Borrowed my Dad's 06 last year after having plinked with .45-70 for 7 or 8 years and was shocked how little recoil it delivered. When I was a kid I thought it really thumped me. :wink:
Jerry M. Davenport

I said, "I never had much use for one."
I never said I didn't know HOW
bryany

Post by bryany »

I think we are talking about felt recoil versus some kind of calculated scientific value. I have shot an 06 that slapped me something fierce (Rem Mohawk) and other modern guns that weren't too bad. My 12 ga. Mag thumps me a bit like my 2.4 and a 45-70 is plumb pleasant in comparison. None of them are ugly in the recoil department for a moderate number of shots but I don't care to shoot 50-70 shots at a match with the Mag shotgun any more than prone with the 2.4. They have different physics but still wear you down in time. The Mohawk on the other hand won't be borrowed and shot again!

Bryan
Casper, WY
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

hey folks
I think I mentioned that I had a ruger #1 in 340 wmag. With a 3x9 it weighed just over 10 lbs. I could shoot that rifle all afternoon (well not really), but could put 20 or 25 rounds through it before I felt fatigued. That was with 225gr noslers at, (if memory serves), 2800 fps or so. In the mid 80s', I had a win 70 ranger in 7mm mag. if it weighed 8 with a 3x9 scope. Man did that kick the snot out of me!! 4 or 5 rounds of 150 grain factory loads and I was done! I believe that stock design has a lot to do with it, as well as your mind set. Body size, does it make a differance? Maybe. My brother-in-law could handle the 7, but not the 340. He might weigh 150 wet. Whereas me, well, I'm 5 11 and 240. Like I said, mind set. Look at ELMER! Small stature, never even flinched with the biggest rifles that would scare most people. My $.02 cents, LeRoy
Bonanza Driver

Post by Bonanza Driver »

Rjohns:

When I first placed the order for my ‘Quigley’, Lucinda suggested that I start with 45-70 and then work my way up to 45-110. She very properly did this for two basic reasons – first the perceived steep learning curve of loading for 45-110 and the additional recoil. I ordered the 45-110 anyway because that is what “Quigley” shot! Thanks to Kenny Wasserburger and Rdnck, the loading difficulties were quickly overcome and to my pleasant surprise, the perceived recoil is less than I experience when firing my 30-06 or 12 gauge 2¾. Hope this helps,

All the best,
Steve
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

Kelly
What caliber to you normally shoot?