Recoil

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

gernimo.tn,

I shoot a 45/70 for silhouette and mid-range, a 45/90 for long range and buffalo matches. I have been shooting 40/65 for silhouette to work up a good load for it, it's my wife's rifle. I also don't feel anyone is handicapping them self's using a 40/65. My favorite's are the 45/70 and 45/90 though.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

Kelly
thanks for the reply.
I shoot 45-70 in an original rolling block.
Saving up for my first Shiloh and am debating between the 45-70 and 40-70SS.
Any opinions on the 40-70SS?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Geronimo,

I am a 45 man but the 40-70 is an original Sharps Chambering soo the coolness factor is way up on it as a choice.

45-70 is a cool round, easy to get the componets to load and fun too shoot.

For your first best choice I would take a 45-70 every time. For a 40 to try i would go with the 40-70 as a second rifle.

Once we get you hooked on Long Range you will of course need a real gun and get a 45-110.

Some missguilded childern think that the 45-90 is the way to go??? :roll:

How ever they mean well but, they are missguided :lol:

Welcome to the grand missery of deciding on a new rifle!

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

Kenny
I understand the 'grand misery' all too well.
Probably will go for the 45-70 for all the obvious reasons although the 40-70 is Sharps kool.
Can't decide on the stock style.
Like the feel of a #1 with pistol grip and the appearrance of a #3, so may go with a saddle rifle stock, straight grip, high comb, cheek rest and shotgun butt. Looks more real 1800's to me.
rk4570

Recoil

Post by rk4570 »

I just caught up with this post and have to agree w/ Kelly even if he did say it 10 times!!! :wink: I shoot both the 45/70 & 45/90 , I like the 90 because its a much heaver rifle 11/2# Rem. Rb compared to the Shiloh Saddle Rifle at 91/2#. I have also ordered a new Shiloh #1 sporter and its in 45/70 111/2 # and I am expecting it next month,cant wait to start shooting.
rk4570
Where ever I go...There I am !
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Re: recoil, I have 2 Navy Arms dbl. barrel 12 ga. muzzleloading shotguns that I have had jug choked. In them I typically shoot 100 gr. FFg Goex and 1.5 ou. lead shot. The guns weigh 7.5 lbs, and they kill things graveyard dead; they will blow some feathers out of pheasants at 40 yards if I have the little button in the right spot.

Anyway, these guns recoil to be sure, but it is not unmanageable. If I am really concentrating on the task at hand I don't really notice the recoil at all as long as I am tightly connected to the buttplate. The place where recoil becomes significant is if I jerk the trigger; what happens when I jerk is that the buttplate comes off my shoulder a slight bit, and that gives the gun and the buttplate a running start at my shoulder. I can feel it then.

The point is that most of the really heavy Sharps cartridge loads won't be any heavier than the loads I am running in these shotguns, and the Sharps loads will almost certainly be shot from a rifle that probably weighs at least 50% heavier than my shotguns. Excessive recoil can certainly be a factor with any gun if one shoots a really long string of shots, but even this can be minimized when one learns how to properly connect with the gun and concentrate completely on the task at hand.

Regards
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Kelly O., I hope thats not a shaky trigger finger. Rbump