Meacham seating die

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Capt Henry

Meacham seating die

Post by Capt Henry »

Has anyone tried the Meachem Straight line seating die? It looks like a good product but I would like to find out if anyone has used it. If so what were the end results.
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Hi Capt Henry, I was wondering the same thing.I had my eye set on a Redding Competition seating die, but this one looks promising too. I found this article on it. Mabe tis will shed some light on its caracteristics. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/gun_acce ... cham_0728/
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Just logged on the above link and noticed that:

1.) The bullet dia the die will set IS limited:

“The Easy Seater is available for .458-, .408-, ….bullet diameters for $114.95 from Meacham Tool & Hardware Co. Inc”,

2.) “In the .45-70, a 530-grain bullet can be seated to the back of the first driving band.”

Does this mean the 1st driving band from the base of the bullet or its nose?

Also notice that the description of the die stated:

“An inner guide sleeve is reamed for a specific combination of bullet diameter and neck diameter to hold the bullet in perfect alignment with the die body and a seating stem that is matched to the guide sleeve.”

“Specific combination” of bullet & neck dia that is “matched” to the guide sleeve? Does this mean that a Shooter needs to turn thecase necks to a uniform thickness?

Sounds like this is a fussy die w/ limited use?

Or if the Shooter utilized a longer case or a long bullet, is a seating die still necessary to fully seat the bullet?
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Check out Cabine Tree, they also offer an inline seating die for about half the price of the Meachum. I will look up the particulars, but I think this company has the rights to the original of this type. Will let you know, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Cabine Tree, purchased the rights to Vickerman Dies, and to the best of my knowledge, they are the original of this type die. I have purchased several items from Cabine Tree, their lead tester, ribbon lube press, and mould handles, and they are all quality products that will last at least my lifetime. :lol: Randy I am going to order one of the Vickerman dies for my new .38-55 Schuetzen rifle. I will post on this site how it works.
Randy Ruwe
rk4570

Straight line dies

Post by rk4570 »

Omaha Poke........Where can I find Cabin tree?
rk4570
Where ever I go...There I am !
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

I ain't Omaha Poke but look 'em up at
http://www.castingstuff.com/gmw_products.htm