sigts for a cheap bugger like me

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

fingers

sigts for a cheap bugger like me

Post by fingers »

Ok so I've save a little money and now I want some good sights without having to pay for a name. Anyone have any recomendations? I've been talking to Lee Shaver, his supergrade sights look like what I want. I've also been thinking about Buffalo Arms Ukranian sights and Ron Heilman's sights. I'll be getting Ron's front sight soon.

Thanks for your help guys.
John
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Fingers, I just got one of Ron Heilman's front sights, and the dovetail fit is just perfect!! I didn't have to shim, and didn't have to worry about over tightening the tiny set screw that comes with some of them. I haven't really seen his tang sights but I bet they are just as good quality.

As far as tang sights go, I have a Browning, two Ukranian, a Kelley Soule, and after my order today I have three MVA Vernier sights. The latest MVA that I ordered today is going to go on my new Schuetzen rifle. The reason I bought it is not because I like MVA so much better than the others, than the reason I can switch it back and forth from one rifle to another just by having a base on the rifle I intend to switch it to. The base costs less than $100 as opposed to $400-$500 for a complete sight.

They all (the ones I have on my rifles) work well, just the way they were designed to work. All have some advantages and disadvantages. ie price, cosmetics, adjustments, etc. But the fact is they all work!!

Some may say that one turns the wrong way while making sight adjustments, and another may say the opposite. What it boils down to is the fact that you have to watch your vernier scale while making adjustments no matter which sight you use!! I was on a strict budget when I bought my first tang sight, and still am for that matter, and bought the Ukrainian. I haven't regretted it one bit. It has worked well for two years + now and I believe it will work for a long time to come. If you have the desire to get another or some other rifles down the road, then get the MVA so you can just buy a base for each rifle. Hope this helps, Randy
Randy Ruwe
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

when I first got a sharps I got an axtel and two bases and used them fine for most of 20 yrs and it is starting to loosen up a little nowadays.just got a Heilman rear and two bases and Mr Heilman put a sight adaptor in the front of the eyepiece for me when I asked and was happy to do it. I can now see to shoot . I had asked a couple of big name makers if they could help on the adaptor and they" could not change production" even if I payed for it. I felt that Mr. Heilman was interested in my problem and enjoyed the challenge and there is not a thing wrong with his sights.
My point is that they all will do you a good job but my vote goes to Ron Heilman cause he is small enough to care about his customers
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

powderburner, that is one heck of a good recommendation for buying Ron's sights. I had no idea he was capable of doing that kind of work. If I had I would have purchased from him. He does quality work. I may still do some business with him on a tang sight soon. :D Thanks for the heads-up. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Randy,

Ron is not only an artist as a machinist, but he is also an extremely fine gentleman. Ron will mak just about anything you ask, and has the ability to do it right and do it extremely well. I have some of his sights and am speaking from experience.
Lee Stone
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I only ordered one from him ,Lee and others did all the recomending of him I believe they deserve the credit. but I will throw my endorsement in with theirs..................Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Actually it was Trigger Dr. who introduced us to Ron's sights. And it was Trigger Dr. who thought up and suggested that Ron mill the sky-light into the spirit level globe sight. I bought some after Trigger Dr. E-mailed me a couple of pictures he took of his. I like Ron's work very much.
Lee Stone
dozer

Post by dozer »

Based on all the recommendations, I have a set of Ron's on order and can't wait to get them on the Shiloh so I can see what it will do.
Doz
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Everyone that's read my other posts about Ron's sights know that I like them. His front sight is the only one I'll use. His rear midrange tang is on my Hartford and works just fine. I'm going to have him make me a long range staff also with the elevation markings cut on the right side of the staff to replace the midrange I have now. Try to get the big guys to do that for you! Ron's a great guy and will work with you to give you what you want. You will not be dissatisfied with his sight I'm sure.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

Another one for Ron.
I was talking to him at the gun show yesturday and he is in the process of making a midrange tang for an H&R Officers model that I have. Gave him the old one and he is going to make the base fit the inlet for it. That is SERVICE.
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

So, does Ron have a web site or where can we see/buy one??
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

You can call him at 253-840-2623 or email him at r.a.heilman@woldnet.att.net he will email you his flyer. If you want to see some pictures of his sights mounted on a Shiloh pm me and when I get home to my computer tomorrow night I'll be glad to send you some pictures.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I just gotta throw my 2 cents in here. I use Ron's sights front and back on my sporter #1 and I think they are wonderful, especially the front as modified per Ron and Trigger Dr. I just shot a silhouette match (my first regulation NRA match) and my spotter was Croft Barker. He said, you have a very good set of sights there!! My first ever NRA Silhouette and I came in 2nd in AA, that has to say something about the rifle and the sights. I have the standard long range tang, it shot 750 meters (847 yards) at a setting of 147.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

BuckeyeShooter,

Here's my email could you send to me as well? Thanks, LeRoy.

l archer @ opera mail . com (without the spaces, of course) :wink:
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

Hey Folks,

Just talked to Ron about his sights. Couldn't get through to his email, so I phoned. Expected to get an answering machine or secretary. Got his wife, she called him in from the garage, he was making bases for Sharps! Nice fellow to talk to. Told him how everyone is talking about his sights, and he sounded kinda shocked. He is emailing me a flyer when he breaks for lunch! LeRoy.