Need help on 63 Sharps Carbine...

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim VanMiddlesworth

Need help on 63 Sharps Carbine...

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

Over the weekend I picked up a Taylor's and Co. 1863 Sharps Carbine, .54, in new condition. Only 4 rounds fired in it since new. Where can I find paper cartridge insructions and supplies? Any insights on using the percussion breech loaders?
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Oops, just saw the instructions on Shiloh's site. Still could use some tips.
dm3280

Instructions on web?

Post by dm3280 »

Where did you find the instructions? I have looked everywhere and can't find them.
Thanks
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

For instructions on paper cartridges, go onto the North-South Skirmish Association web site(I think it's n-ssa.org), into the bulletin board section, and page down until you see a discussion on paper cartridges or check the archive site for carbines.

I make my paper cartridges out of copier paper that has been soaked in a water and potassium nitrate powder solution. Get the nitrate from a chemical supply house or just buy stump remover at a garden shop (it's pure nitrate).

If you can't find the directions, just come back and let us know and I'll write them on this board.
Jim VanMiddlesworth

What I meant was I found some of the supplies on Shiloh's web site, not the instructions.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Jim, how are you? Send me your address and I will send you the drawings on how to make your cartouches or how ever they spell it. Thanks Kirk
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Kirk, I sent you a PM.
SharpsShtr

Post by SharpsShtr »

The January 2004 "The Single Shot Exchange" magazine has an article titled "Care and Feeding of the Precussion Sharps Rifle".

You can contact them at:

The Single Shot Exchange Magazine
Post Office Box 1055
York, South Carloina 29745

phone: 803-628-5326
email: singleshotex@earthlink.net

Matt
Jim VanMiddlesworth

I'm hoping to get some better results from my 63 Armi Sport. Sorry, Kirk, I wish it were one of your's but I put the big money on a # 1 sporter from you. I got the Armi Sport in new condition for $600. Hard to pass up.

The results were disappointing at this point. I made my own nitrate paper which worked well. Just soaked some copier paper in the solution. I rolled the cartridges with a Buffalo .54 cal. 310 grn, round nose, hollow base bullet. The bore measures .544. The bullets were backed by 55gns of Goex FFg. Accuracy was dismal at 100 yards, about 17" groups. I also fired the gun by simply loading a bullet and dropping in 60 grns of powder. The bullet hit about 17" high but with correct windage. With the 55 grn paper cartridges elevation was better but windage was all over the place. Caps are CCI musket caps. Surprisingly with the 310 grn bullet the chamber will hold a max of only 60 grns of powder. Could it be short chambered?

I'm not expecting 1" groups but better than I experienced. I realize experimentation is necessary but does anyone have any suggestions? Other than getting rid of the gun. Its something to play around with till my Shiloh is done. Is FFFg safe to use in my gun or is it too fine?

I'm also thinking I'm shooting too light a bullet. It seems most people are shooting heavier than 450 grns.

Post by Trigger Dr »

Jim,
I "had" an IAB (It Always Broke) 63 rifle that would not shoot worth talking about. I sent it back. I made a die to fit my loading press.

I built it to fit the ram on my press, and would hold a paper cartroidge tube inside. After filling it with powder, I could then compress the charge without damaging the paper case. Then with a little Elmers glue, the bullet seated just fine. This worked very well in a friends gun, so I gave it to him after I sent the P.O.S. back to the dealer.

Trigger Dr.
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
terry

Post by terry »

Hi Jim

I wrote an article for the Sharps Collectors Association a few years ago on how to make the combustible cartridges, this is basicly an expansion of the original Sharps instructions from the 1850's. It should answer mostl your questions. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.schuetzen.net/sharps_combust ... ridges.htm

Enjoy, Terry
:D
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Thanks Terry