Thor's Hammer

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rdnck

Thor's Hammer

Post by rdnck »

I finally got to do a little shooting again today with Mjolnir. I'm going out of town and carrying the rifle with me day after tomorrow, and as I had fitted different sights front and rear from the first time out, I wanted to verify that I had the correct dead wind zero and obtain elevation settings.

I only had 25 rounds of 45-110 ammo loaded, and used 20 of them zeroing the front sight for windage and getting zeroed on the pig, turkey, and ram. Lighting conditions were not really good, and I did not wipe the rifle during the string. Satisfied that I was zeroed, I shot the last five rounds I had at my buffalo silhouette which is 24 inches deep and 48 inches from nose to tail, and sits 504 yards from my firing line. I could cover the five hits with my hand.

Both this rifle and the caliber continue to produce outstanding results. Humidity was 24%, yet the fouling after 25 shots was very light and moist, and one dry patch followed by one wet one and two dry ones were all that was required for a clean bore. This 14 1/2 pound rifle and 45- 2 7/8 inch case flat out deliver the goods with 106 grains of Goex 1F and a 540 grain bullet.

I have had two thoughts run repeatedly through my mind since I came in from the range. One is that I can't believe that we overlooked this cartridge and load for so long. The other is that a rifle like this sat unused for seven years. Now we know, and life is good. You boys have a Merry Christmas, I'm going hunting. Shoot straight, rdnck.

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

rdnck,

Good luck on your hunting trip. I believe your rifle will comport itself as well in the field as it has on the range. However, considering that it is one of considerable heft, have you contracted with a local gun bearer? My, excuse me as I have to mumble in low tones here on the Shiloh site, Ballard, .45-2.6" is not quite as heavy as your new Shiloh and it only gets transported from place to place by either my truck or range cart. Read wheels. Yup, all my detractors are correct, I'm a tenderparts. :) Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Smokin, Rdnck has a love affair with Sharps rifles. I have a really nice Ballard that should be completed in 2-4 months and Rdnck's already wanting me to sell it to buy a couple of Shilohs . Merry Christmas to you and Rdnck!
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Rdnck:

What are the specifics of your 45-110 that bring it up to 14 1/2 lbs.?

Are you using the 14 lb. Bull Barrel?

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"