Antique 45-70 shot cartridges

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Saddlemaker

Antique 45-70 shot cartridges

Post by Saddlemaker »

I recently was given some 45-70 black powder rounds loaded with shot headstamped 3-92 and 4-93. The cases appear to be nickled and are in Frankfurt Arsenal boxes. I was told the 3-92 stood for March 1892 ect. Anyone have any info on these kind of cases, what they were used for and their value? Do antique cases lose their value if cleaned? I took one apart and it appears to be a regular 45-70 nickle plated brass case with black powder, a wad, small shot, a wad over with a wax coated wad crimped on top.
Thanks Walt
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Saddlemaker

These were called "forage loads" and were commonly loaded with #7 1/2 shot but other sizes were also used. this was basiclly a small game shotshell.
Check page 138 of Wolfe's book loading cartridges for the original 45-70 Springfield rifle and carbine
trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
ffffgdave@yahoo.com

Post by ffffgdave@yahoo.com »

shot shells in rifles would be good if your hungry, and small critters are flying or moving fast, but will take some bunch of cleaning to get the lead out. the best way to get the lead out of a bore is to never have any leading in the first place..i realize these are antiques and you probably never intended to fire them.. but others are watching who may not realize the fun of getting the barrel clean to thebotom of the grooves from end to end.. .. .. dave.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

S M ! I would leave them alone as i have never run accross them at shows ! They maybe worth some BUCKS ! JAGG
JAGG