Which Paul Jones .45 Cal. Creedmoor To Order ?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Nick B

Which Paul Jones .45 Cal. Creedmoor To Order ?

Post by Nick B »

I'm shooting Shiloh's in both 45-70 and 45-90. I only have ranges of 100 and 200 yards to shoot at so which Creedmoor should I order, the 500 gr. or the 540 gr. ? Thanks guys, Nick
Smokin

Post by Smokin »

Nick B,

This is such a tricky question in that each of us who shoots .45 caliber BPCRs will probably have a different opinion on which bullet may work at the ranges you wil be shooting, or will begin to shoot at. I think is is of interest and instructive that the Department of the Army when testing for bullets which would work well in the then new government round, the .45-70, decided upon a 500 grain round nose, 3 groove bullet. This was the rifle bullet and the carbine bullet was a similar bullet, but shorter and weighed 405 grains. This carbine load was also decreased to 55 grains of powder.

I have several .45 caliber moulds and my collection, which is no where near as large (complete) as shooters much more experienced than I. Each of us will by a mould and test the performance of its bullets to see if it we have found the grail. To be completely candid here, my .45-70 does not like the 540 grain Creedmoor bullet. With the loads I have tested, it likes the SAECO 745. On the other hand, my .45-2.6" really likes that 540 grain Creedmoor bullet, but I only shoot it at 800-1000 yards. The .45-70 is the rifle I use for our local gong matches to 600 yards and at the Quigley shoot.

Between you, me, and the fencepost, I have been looking, while hiding my checkbook, but with a twitch in my writing hand at Jones' AA 3 groove bullet. I just know that it will provide the mojo I need to hit every target within view of my sights. You see that's the disease from which there is no cure; the more you get into this at the level of the adventurer, the more you will always know that the better greenery exists just over the next fence. Others will offer better counsel here, but consider for the relatively short ranges that you now have available to you, a long heavy bullet may be of no advantage. They tend to come into their own at long ranges. A shorter, lighter bullet will probably work better and be more fun (read less recoiling) to shoot. Good luck, Smokin
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Man Smokin I wish everybody would answer my lame questions here as fast and as thorough as you. Thankyou again. Is there anybody else out there that can help this Florida Cracker out ? How about one of Paul's 500 gr. Government bullets at 100-200 yards ? Nick
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

Nick
I'm gonna half to go with the 540 as I do have both the 500 and the 540 moulds. Both of my guns like the 540 and both are shiloh's I have a 30' 45-70 #1 heavy and a 34' 2.6 with the same #1 heavy I use Swiss powder in both guns. I like the heavier bullet because if you ever decide to shoot at longer ranges you are set. Good Luck Al
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Thebear

Post by Thebear »

I have been looking at a Jones mould as well. Paul told me he could make the 500 gr. Creedmore at any weight I would want. What would you guys think of the Creedmore at about 525-530 gr.? This would be used in a 45-70 only. Thanks Thebear
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

I shoot at longer range's alot and I still think that the heavier bullet is the way to go. It's better in the wind and I have had just outstanding luck with the heavier bullet. Some of these other guys are alot better shooters than I am and I know they are getting good results also. I think for shooting the shorter ranges though you would be alright with the 500. Al
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: I started out shooting BP 2 years ago after reading posts on the old shooters.com. My first rifle was a Browning 45-70 and my first mould was a Lyman postell that cast bullets weighing about 430gr using my alloy.
This bullet works well in my rifle but I have found that the old Govt 405gr style bullet cast from a dual cavity Saeco-Redding mould is more accurate at 200m and the postell is better at longer ranges (300m>). Since you already have a 45-90 I'd go with the heavier bullet and start working on load developement for both rifles with that bullet. I now have about 8 moulds for 45 cal bullets and am quite sure that I'll acquire some more in the future. Good Luck. Rbump
RMulhern

Which bullet?

Post by RMulhern »

Smokin

Naw man! Not no 3 groove! You gonna be pulling ya hair out...if ya got any. What ya got ta think bout is the fact that you probably ain't gonna be getting enuff lube outa that thing! On them hot/dry days ya need all the lube ya can get! Maybe a 3 groove barrel....but not no 3 groove bullet!! :twisted: :twisted: :oops: :evil:
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

I'm with Al on this one, my 45-70 and 90 shoots very good with the p Jones 540 creedmore at 200 - 1000 yards. All the ranges I shoot at it is hot and dry and you need all the lube you can get. Mr Jones makes the best mold I have ever used.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
arnie

Post by arnie »

I have shot my Shiloh at 25 yards to 600 yards with my PJ 540 grain creedmoor and it shoots great at all these distances.Bullet holes at 25 yards were perfectly round .Arnie