44-90 bn information

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kamotz

44-90 bn information

Post by kamotz »

Hi all, I was hoping someone here has any experience with the 44-90 bn.What are its caracteristics as far as accuracy and fowling? Theres no question about its power.What brass would you recomend? Buffalo arms offers 2 diferent 44-90 carts. one for Shilohs and one for original sharps.Is there any others?I realize that it is not the most prudent cartridge to inquire about,But I am into the power and coolness factor. It would be dreamy if it shoots great too.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Mark Dunn

.44-90 SBN

Post by Mark Dunn »

I've to a #2 in .44 2 5/8" SBN. I really love it. I've gotten 300 yd. accuracy at 5.5" (8 shots). Maybe not good for some. But great for me!!! I use B.A. brass for Shilohs, never had a problem. I use Swiss 1.5 and a Steve Brooks 511 gr. bullet. I harvested a deer in Wyoming with it last year. Try it, I guarantee you won't be sorry.

Good Luck,
Mark
Henderson, NV
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

Gents,
I have quite a bit of shooting expereince shooting the 44-90BN in a friend"s rifle, a Shiloh made in 2000.He uses older Goex cartridge grade powder in his loads but has tried a bit of No1 and No 1 1/2 Swiss.Due to the seating constraints of the casebneck,my friend had a steve brooks mold cut that has a perfect bearing surface length for proper seating..Lee Shaver in Mo,handlapped the barrel and we have noticed no excessive fouling or leading with the gun .

I have shot the rifle quite a bit and the gun is nicely accurate.I even shot a few silhouette amtches with it and did pretty well.I won AAA class at our local NRA regional match shooting it.Up until this year my previous high chicken score(6 of 10) was also fired with that gun.

One memorable evening this summer,Kenny(the owner),Mon Yee and myself put on aa accidental "shooting demonstration" for one of Kenny's rural neighbors(who's not a shooter).We had just gotten some sight settings for the rifle at 900 yards(laying prone).Kenny asked me if I wanted to try and I said sure.Instead of lying down,I shot at the steel Creedmoor target offhand .About three seconds after I touched the round off,that satisfying "Bonggg" of the steel being struck echoed back to the firing point.I had hit the bulls eye at about 4 o'clock !

I told the others if I can do it ,you can too!We passed the rifle around taking turns and we each hit the 48"x 48" target 2 of 3 shots offhand with that rifle.Kenny's neighbor still can't believe what he saw that day.

The 44-90BN is a fine cartridge and the only real downside is the expense of the brass....
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Thanks for the reply. I just may have to give it a try on my next gun. :lol:
Once you shoot black, youll never go back