Learning Curve at the range: Revisited

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JeffinKy

Learning Curve at the range: Revisited

Post by JeffinKy »

Greetings all!!

I hope the holidays were good to you and that you got the kind of gifts that will help you go KaBOOM!!!..................clang! on a more regualr basis.

I have changed a few things since the Nov. shoot at Boaz, Ky.
I'm still using the same rifle, but have changed the rear sight back to my Pedersoli LR version from my C.Charps Midrange.
Reason?? The C.Sharps scale is just too damn hard to read.
It was almost impossible to have the sight in the same place and read the Vernier scale on the side. The Pedersoli is a much better system in my opinion. The interesting part was tryingto transpose the old sight settings to the new settings on the new sight. As it turns out on the range, it was way off. i was ~0.20 low on each setting on average, but got it worked out none the less.
I had to make a few changes to my ammo also. When i picked up my last batch of bullets, they wern't sized or lubed yet. so i decided to just shoot them as cast and lube them by hand by pressing the lube with my fingers into the lube grooves. It worked pretty well at that. I had a nice 6-7" cluster on the 400 yard buffalo and hit 10 of 13 if you include the sighters. Not too bad. Shot a 27 this month, so my scores are on the way up a little, but there is still room for improvement. I am happy with the new results. I even picked up a Lyman Bullet mould.
It is a LYMAN single cavity #457661 510 Gr. Bp Sil. Dixie Mould.
I need a set of large handles for it still. Anyone have a set that they want to sell for cheap?? Let me know. I will probably cast some of my own to see how they shoot.

That's all for now until the january shoot at Boaz.

Jeff in Ky.