Source for Blackpowder

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jim Swanson

Source for Blackpowder

Post by Jim Swanson »

Does anyone have an affordable source for powder that they could recommend? I plan to use Goex, assuming it will shoot in my rifles, but also plan to experiment with Swiss. I noticed that Grafs in Mexico, Missouri sells Goex for about $10.00 a lb. (retail price). The only local gun shop in this area that sells blackpowder, charges close to $15.00 a lb. for Goex. They told me it was the shipping charges that increased the cost approximately 30%. I would be willing to buy whatever quanity required in order to obtain it at a reduced price. Any suggestions?
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Jim,

Last Feb. on my my way to Winter Range in Phoenix, Az. I stopped at Connies, in Hobbs, NM. Pick-up 25 pounds of Cartridge Grade for $8.50 a pounds and 25 pounds of Fg for $8.25 a pound. Plus, with a little talking got to see his collection, very interesting. Contact him you can find his contact imformation on the Goex Web Page, www.goexpowder.com . Hope this helps.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
JMLange

Source For Black Powder

Post by JMLange »

There are two online sources that I know of:

http://www.powderinc.com/index.shtml
I believe they will sell in 5lb. lots

http://www.mainepowderhouse.com/
I believe they will sell only 25lb. lots

Either way, your stuck with a $20.00 haz. mat. charge.
Track of the Wolf also sells powder in 25lb. lots, but they are more expensive.

John
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Jim,

Connie's Blacl Powder is in New Mexico a place Called Hobb's. !-800-713-6321. They used to sell Swiss, I don't know if they still do.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Bob Eaton

Source for Black Powder

Post by Bob Eaton »

I talked to Coonie on the phone a month or so ago asking if he did still sell Swiss, and should I go to Hobbs to get some. He said that he did, but since I live in AZ, why didn't I piggyback two or three pounds on Jensen's next order of Goex. (Jensen's is the largest gun store in Tucson.) They deal with him, and it should be no trouble. It would have been a great idea if someone else hadn't snaffled my three pounds of Swiss, unbeknownst to me.Oh,well..javascript:emoticon(':roll:').

I may try again, next time I get to Tucson.javascript:emoticon(':?')
Bob Eaton

Curiosity didn't kill the cat: It was lack of data. RAH
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Bob Eaton,

I noticed you listed Scottsdale as home, do you know Steve Rhodes? If you do talk to him about Black Powder. And if you don't, he put's on the silhouette matches at Ben Avery and you can talk to him about powder.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Bob Eaton

source for Black Powder

Post by Bob Eaton »

Kelley O.

I haven't talked to Steve, but I did send him a query on the internet concerning length of cross sticks and whether I could use a stool for the non-offhand stages. (75 years old, overweight, lots of osteo-arthritis. Both standard prone and sitting positions are way painful.) He was very gracious and said all I had to do was get a doctors letter. Now that I have a semi-accurate load for my .45-70, I may just do that

Cheers and good shooting,
Bob Eaton

Curiosity didn't kill the cat: It was lack of data. RAH
deerhuntsheatmeup

Powder source

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I see one of you guys is from MS and I buy powder in bulk from Dale Magee. I save 15% or so buying it in bulk, I just save old powder cans and pour it up in them. If you dont have enough old cans, I have used old army ammo cans and stored it in them. Phone #601-857-8997 He is located close to Bolton, MS, close to Clinton. Later, Barfield
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Just for info, GOEX is $19.95 a lb here in the Interior; as I recall.
Shoot Straight
Jim Swanson

Source for Blackpowder

Post by Jim Swanson »

Thank you for the input. It was very helpful.
Poison Slinger

Post by Poison Slinger »

Guys,

I just purchased a supply of Swiss from Redmond Powder for $15.00 per pound SHIPPED to Cody, including the hazmat. They are at (309) 853-5640. Great folks to work with.

http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/Sporting/sporting.html will lead you to information on other suppliers and powder.

Rick Patton