1-03-04 Machias Shoot

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omaha Poke

1-03-04 Machias Shoot

Post by Omaha Poke »

Hi guys, today here in the Great Pacific NW, we had a 30 round, 500 yd mid range shoot. The temp never got above 26 degrees, and the wind chill, according to my Kestrel weather station was never above 15 degrees.

There were 11 or 12 of us brave souls who turned out. About the hardest part was getting there since there was about 15 miles of black ice on the last leg of the trip. This is in very hilly country with nary a flat spot to comment on.

Steve Anderson, the match director did his usual excellent job, and even had a pot of chili in the pits for us when it was our turn to pull targets.

The weather never warmed up, and tonight it is even colder :!: The Humidity was 46%, which if you have never experienced humidity that high with temps that cold, it it like -40 degrees in MT or WY. No Fooling :!: I have been all three places during thier worst weather.

My hands got so cold I reached up to my barrel to try and warm them, but the barrel never got warmer than a bare cool. I was blow tubing the barrel, and then blowing on my trigger finger.

Despite the cold, there were some very nice scores posted, and if I am not mistaken, Steve took Master Class, and Larry Basset (LJ Bass to those on this board) won overall. Nice job both of you. :D :!:

I tried a little experiment today with annealed vs non-annealed brass, and will post on it tomorrow, but right now it is getting late, and I need some sleep. Good night, Randy :D
Randy Ruwe
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Randy,

You ought to come down here to SouthEastern Louisiana. It is in the 70's outside at the moment and the humidity is somewhere between 95 and 100 %. My A/C unit (set on cool, not on heat), just this moment turned off. I had to set it to cool just to dry out the air. I am guessing that right now, 3 good puffs on the blow tube would be adequate outside. Instead of hot chili in the pits I'll bet cold lemonade or water would be more appreciated.
Lee Stone
LJBass

Post by LJBass »

Damn, Lee you got room to put up about a dozen of us? Seriously, don't tempt any of these guys or you may find them on your doorstep lookin' for a place to park their campers. Yesterday's match was the coldest I have ever shot. My little Radio Shack doohickie showed a temperature of 28 degrees and 78 percent humidity all day. Probably got stuck it was so cold. Generally, this a really easy place to shoot because we don't experience a lot of temperature and humidity extremes. But, after yesterday, I am almighty tempted to move south. Got room?
LJ
Howard Haworth

Post by Howard Haworth »

Thats the All Mighty Truth,
I am still trying to get the feeling back in my fingers after yesturdays shoot. That was a real good one. Only my second midrange shoot and my oldest son's first. We had a blast out there even with shooting a 241, and I got to put a face with some of the names on this forum. Looking forward to the shoot on the 31st. Hope to have my new Steve Brooks mold to try out there. See ya all then. Howard
Omak Cowboy

temps

Post by Omak Cowboy »

It's 7:51 PM here 20 miles south of Seattle, and about 750 above sea level.
The temp outside is 17.8 at 84% BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

Omak, ya should of been there. Nothing like shooting BPCR to get your blood flowing. Next time I come am gonna bring some onions and cheese for the chili. Steve Anderson puts on a first class shoot. We are fortunate to have a monthly 500 yard shoot in our own backyard. -Mike