A no-compression Swiss load

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Outrider

A no-compression Swiss load

Post by Outrider »

I'm hearing that Swiss doesn't like compression. In my first .45-70 loads I'm drop tubing, putting a .030 wad over the powder, and then compressing the load approx. .100 in. I presume that I am anyway because the space that I have in the case is .100 in. less than the depth that I seat the bullet. I want to try a load with little or no compression. My only concern would be leaving an air space unintentionally. Would appreciate advice. I'm pretty darned excited about my new '74. Have wanted one for a long time.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

M. Stanloski,

Don't be afraid of compressing Swiss. I have compressed Swiss 1.5f in 40-65, 45-70 & 45-90. The 45-70 with 540 P. Jone Creedmore, 70 grains 1.5f with about .200" compression shoots very good. In my 45-90 same bullet and 92 grains 1.5f about .225" compression also shoots very well at 1340 fps.

I'm not saying it won't shoot well with no compression, It depends on all all the loading componants and your rifle. I choose to shoot a heavy bullet and increase my vilocity with compression rather than going to 3f.

With the 45-70 load my wife place 42nd at Quigley with 35 hits and my 45-90 load got 34 hits. A friend with the same 45-90 load place 25th with 36 hits. My 45-90 load also scored high in expert class at Reton Creedmore Match with one really bad target that I blame on some terrible conditions.

I started loading the 1.5 Swiss with .030" compression and have worked up to .250". Works for me. Lets us know what you finally settle on.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!
Vbull

Post by Vbull »

I'd always heard that Swiss powder did not work well compressed and I'd set up my loads that way. But, my shooting partner compressed the hell out of it and still got excellent accuracy along with the increase in velocity. He uses a .45-70 case in a throated (.300) chamber. This allows him to seat his bullet out and effectivly become a .45-90. He manages to compress 90 gr of Swiss 1 1/2 into that case. Winning the last World Championship that was held at Bisley tells me it works good.

I think you just need to try it and see for yourself. My first LR rifle was chambered this way and served me well too. My current one uses .45-90 cases and is throated too. So I have no need to compress. It also shoots very good and is a bit easier to load because I can skip the compression step in my loading process. Frank M.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I have been loading FFg Swiss in .45/70 for a few years now and have always compressed it and get good accuracy with it.
Lee Stone
Outrider

a no-compression Swiss load

Post by Outrider »

Gentlemen thank you for the advice.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

M. Stanloski,
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm a little bit confused by your post. How are you getting this .1" space between the wad and bullet? Typically, more powder, grease cookie or a thicker wad could be added to avoid the space.
Unless all your cases weigh the same, have the same wall thickness, same volume, your wads are exactly .030", your drop tube compacted the powder in each case exactly the same depth, then you might not have to compress the powder to keep the bullet depth consistent from case to case. In my opinion its unpractical to control all these variables so tightly. However, they should at least be in the same ball park. One reason I compress powder (using a press) is to ensure that each bullet is seated exactly the same depth as the one before it. This allows consistent overall length dimensions even if it means compressing only .030". Each bullet will be chambered exactly the same.
The problem however is that because of the variables involved, some cases may get slightly more compression than others. This is why I compress no less then .1" I eliminate any cases that require an 'untypical' amount of compression pressure on the press.
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

I agree with IronSight. I feel that compression has more consistancy than no compression.
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!