Scoped coaching strategies

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael Rix

Scoped coaching strategies

Post by Michael Rix »

Coaching strategies for scoped silhouette matches:

A few of you have shoot in the silhouette scope matches. My shooting partner just scoped a 45-70 and he shot one match with me spotting/coaching. My question is for those of you that have tried this, what method of sight correction do you like once you are “on the animal”. Two possible ways are, holding off and adjusting for each change as we do with tang sights.

With only one match and a seat of the pants plan we adjusted for each required windage change. It has been suggested that this might introduce some elevation change when the windage change is made. We did not find that to be true that day with the MVA outfit being used, but…..
My shooting pard shot a 28 with one chicken that day, which was not bad right out of the chute. However, a case of one is not much of a case, so I am looking for ideas.

I talked with Kelley Roos at the AZ match last November and they were doing well with holding off. Kelley, correct me if I got that wrong.

Pros and cons?

Michael Rix
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Yep, hold off most off of the time. Sometimes it's hard to adjust when time is short and figuring for the correct windage or elevation, so holding off is best for me. Chickens do the chicken dance in a scope. :lol:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos