Powder measure

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kantishna

Powder measure

Post by kantishna »

Hello....Does anyone know a source for metal hoppers for a RCBS Uniflow powder measure? Thanks Take Care
fjjensen

Post by fjjensen »

Buffalo arms ,ask for Skip.

Frank
Capt. Call

Post by Capt. Call »

I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it.
kantishna

Powder measure

Post by kantishna »

Thanks for the info...Take Care
Tejas Raz

Post by Tejas Raz »

Is this the only difference in the black powder measures? Just the hopper? Or are other parts made of different materials such as brass or aluminum? I have a Redding measure for single loading on a Forster Coax press and the stock measure on my Dillan RL-550. It'd be a heap cheaper to change over what I've got instead of buying new ones!
Scott Rasmussen
aka: Tejas Raz - Semper Fi!
http://community.webshots.com/user/tejas_raz
.45-70 Gov't, .40-60 Maynard & Patched Round Ball
NRA Life
Adam R

Post by Adam R »

I just went through the "buy another measure?" dilemma. The Lyman 55 classic is designed for black powder and seemed the best bargain so I took the plunge. It's all metal including the cap (static proof) and has a brass lined cylinder and measuring sleeves which apparently eliminates a spark potential. I was told that black can make a mess of a measure from a friend who found out first hand, rust! The Lyman instructions indicate the measure should be taken apart and cleaned before any long periods (few days) of non-use or it will also rust however, it comes apart much easier than my RCBS. There are some other black measures out there which are quite a bit more expensive than the Lyman and some say they are worth the big money but I weigh every charge anyway so I figured the 55 was good enough for my purpose. I will admit I believe it's a pretty good idea to have a measure dedicated to each type of powder although I didn't care for buying yet another major component for my bench :( I hope this helps.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

tejas raz, I took an old dillon 450 powder measure ,its all alum. , and rolled a piece of brass into a tube for the powder hopper . works good
I have thought that a piece of scrap copper pipe may also work Just didnt have a piece at the time
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Guess, I'm getting old or lazy, quit using any of the powder measures/throwers. Just use the cheap Lee dippers to put powder in the pan, then trickle the rest in. Weight all of the powder any way, so why go through the trouble of adjusting the measure/thrower. The whole set of dippers cost $8.95, I think.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
Tejas Raz

Post by Tejas Raz »

Slim, at least in my case, I'm of the opinion that the charges thrown by good measures are good enough without weighing. I follow this logic by researching what some champion shooters have said and also borrowing from the centerfire benchrest shooter techniques. They never weigh, always going by verified volume. And who can argue with their results. In our particular case, I'm betting that drop tube technique in getting a consistant charge column height makes more difference than individual charge weights and thus a uniform compression. But that's just my own thoughts and subject to change whenever my whim wafts into another direction. :wink:
Scott Rasmussen
aka: Tejas Raz - Semper Fi!
http://community.webshots.com/user/tejas_raz
.45-70 Gov't, .40-60 Maynard & Patched Round Ball
NRA Life
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Tejas Raz,

We each have our own ways of doing things and ideas of how things work best. As, long as it works for us and is safe. Who is to say that each of us is wrong. That is what makes this sport so interesting, The endless possibilitys.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

K ! I don't use a measure i just weight all my serious charges to the line ! For lazy loading i use a powder scoop from Lee ! I have an old lyman powder measure that the instructions said you could use BP in it ,but stopped using it when i heard of explosions etc. ! JAGG
JAGG