Random Lube & Fouling Ruminations

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: Random Lube & Fouling Ruminations

Post by gunlaker »

DanTDesigns wrote: Chris,

Estimated BC of the SAECO 740 is 0.406. The estimated BC of the Kidwell Money Bullet is 0.475. The stability of both bullets out of a 16-twist barrel is fine out to 600 yards. It is only 2.4.
Thanks Dan.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

extolling the virtues of faster twists is one thing, but what are the disadvantages?
the perfect bullet has its centre of form on its axis and also its centre of mass.
the first is achieved by having perfectly straight bullets that are perfectly round.
given the above, the centre of mass should also be there, but we can get inclusions in our bullets as well as air bubbles, and imperfectly filled out bases etc.
if the centre of mass is not the centre of form, the bullet will spin about its centre of form in the barrel, switching to centre of mass in the air,
the switch itself will cause instability and when switched the whole thing can end in tears if extreme.
the faster the bullet spins, the worse the problem, so slower twists have an advantage here.
the best bullets are swaged, which minimizes the problem, but cast bullets made with care are good too.
you just need to be anal.
the other thing fast twists do is increase spindrift.
this is not a problem because it is a constant, and can be dealt with on that basis.
both issues occur in any twist, but increase with rate of twist.
looked at in balance, the faster twist is the better way to go as long as you use good bullets, and have a known deadwind zero.
these things also pertain to slower twists anyway.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

My take on this is quite simple - whether your bullets spin at 52000 or 58500 rpm (18 or 16-twist) won't make a bit of difference if the bullet is flawed - even in a slower-twist barrel it's rotating so fast that those imperfections will show up anyway as lousy accuracy.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Bruce, this is simple.........remove the switches from the bullets before you seat them. :roll: :roll:

Second, to even remotely infer that anyone on this forum is not anal retentive is inappropriate. :wink: Just sayin'

Some of the best scores I have personally seen fired in long range matches were accomplished with a bullet that feels like the handle of a butter knife when you pick it up and if you put it on a run out gauge be careful not to bend the stylus. And, so oversize half the shank is sized to get it in the case but it shoots to call at 1,000 yards and wins matches.

Go Figure....I sure don't understand it.

Did go to a silhouette match with some .44 cal loads that I intentionally selected 6 very ugly bullets for. The bases were OK, not great, loaded them as the carefully weighed and selected bullets and hit 6 out of 6 turkeys with them.

Again, no I don't understand it either and I would NEVER intentionally use bullets like that in a match, but, I have seen some match bullets from other shooters that are fairly ugly shoot very well and they claim they never weigh bullets.

It seems like some guys can pick up a tomato stake, shoot off hand and score a 10 at a 1,000 yards and others can't hit the paper from a machine rest with a state of the art rifle and load at 100 yards. Most of us fall somewhere in between. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

An important consideration, I think, that needs to be mentioned in this vein of thought about bullet lubes is the ability of the lube to remain in the lube grooves until the cartridge is chambered. Especially on rounds with exposed lube grooves.

Several factors impede this goal. Environmental conditions, form and conditions of transporting ammunition, adhesive characteristics of the lube.

Certainly matches that require shooting in the open in warmer, drier climes present more obstacles to lube function.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
1578Tiger

Post by 1578Tiger »

Interesting conversation. What type of rod seems to be the most popular? I've been using lard as part of my homemade lube along with beeswax and anhydrous lanolin. I haven't had a problem here in Louisiana, but shooting at the Quigley Match could insert items into the equation I haven't encountered.

So, what do shooters do to discover and eliminate these new problems?
Wayne

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.”
– Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Both Dan T and Bruce are gone Now. Dan in May of 2015, Bruce just a month or so now.

We are certainly diminished.

KW.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Kenny, I didn't realize until now but this series of posts at the end was only 4 days before Dan died(April 23, 2005). His funeral was the next month in May and we scattered his ashes in the Pacific ocean right after his funeral. He was sure a wealth of knowledge.
Keith Lay
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Excuse me, Dan died April 23, 2015 not 2005.