History of BPCR & BPTR

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

VectorMan

Re: History of BPCR & BPTR

Post by VectorMan »

Calibers used in the 1985 match:
45-70 15
44-100 1
45-100 1
40-90 2
40-70 2
40-65 2
40-60 1
40-2 1/2 1
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
MLV

Post by MLV »

In September of 1985 and 1986 there were "experimental" matches held ar Raton. The first official championship was 1987. But by 1988 NRA sanctioned local matches were being held in Denver, Oklahoma City and Livingston, MT. I can't say which came first of those locations.

I don't remember when the target matches started.
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Raton -- "Before the chance is gone." Alas, it may ALREADY be gone.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
Del

Post by Del »

Say Brent,
I see that you only go through 2012. Do you have the other five years available. Great archive of the history. I have attached a link to this on my webpage under the top NRA Information tab.
Fortune Favors the Bold...
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

I believe there are only two shooters left that have shot in every BPCR (iron) National match held at Raton. Mike Venturino in Montana and Al Shackford in Oklahoma, they are both holding out to see who will make it the longest!
MLV

Post by MLV »

John, you are correct. Just Al and me and Al is down to one eye and I just had a jump starter installed for my heart.
MLV
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Mike,

Isn't age wonderful? I had a doctor tell me once that when I reached the age of 60, my warranty ran out. LOL

The good thing is we have never given up and I don't intend to. 8) .................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Maj. Forrest Smith

Al Shackleford had kept this article that Mike Venturino wrote for the NRA Rifleman magazine about the first/second BPCR match at Raton. I think Al said that New Mexico Association ran it the first year and then the Denver club ran it the second year and then the NRA took on the program to run. Fun to notice the changes we have made in the shooting since the early start of the matches. There are a couple more pages to follow. (I asked permission of Mike V. to re-post)

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1429&sid ... ab43d4f579
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maj. Forrest Smith

The other page of the group. Al mention that some of the people that are in the last photo were spotters workers and didn't shoot. Appreciate Mike V. letting us view this great article again here.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1431&sid ... ab43d4f579
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.