50-140 Express loads

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rgchristensen

Re: 50-140 Express loads

Post by rgchristensen »

An excellent filler for this situation is amaranth seeds, which are available at health-food stores. They are about 1mm diameter hard seeds, which do not compact like cream-of-wheat or other cereal fillers, and measure very neatly from most common powder measures. Dump in the powder, dump in the amaranth seeds, and compress the desired amount with your compression die.

CHRIS
RGChristensen
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

bobw wrote:OLR, I use a Rapine 500 gr ppb in mine with 140 gr Fg shoots far, kills dead. I surely do tell you that It "expresses" itself. You gonna make the " Q "? I'll bring you some of them Express bullets. I think the the brits used 380-440 gr in the 500 -3 1/4" BPE. bobw
bobw - it was great to spend time with you at the 2017 "Q". And, thanks for casting a batch of PP PB 500gr .50cal Rapine "gum drops" for me. What you said would happen is what did happen. Once I got back to the Land of Elizabeth Warren, I patched a couple dozen of the fine bullets you provided with velum that Dave Plummer sent to me a time ago. I filled the case with 140grs Goex Fg, compressed it a tad, inserted a 0.100" grease cookie sandwiched between two thin card wads and pointed at a 4"x4" stake I had driven into the ground about 80 steps away. After two sighters, I proceeded to shred that stake with the next 4 or 5 shots off the bench. I was looking for hunting accuracy and found it. I'll work on getting 'er to make tight clusters of holes at this distance and that at some other time, but for right now, I'm just smilin'. Thanks my friend.
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
bobw

Post by bobw »

Glad it has worked out for you OLR. Patching to GROOVE dia. is about the only way to get those overbored freebore guns to shoot. There are some greasers combos that will work occaisionally, but there is no need for a profain dialog to be started by me. The alternatives are expensive and most of the time it involves rebarreling. Have a happy 4th and burn some bp. :) bobw
bobw