BACO bore wipes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: BACO bore wipes

Post by ian45662 »

I got the felts pretty much soaked. I had to follow it with a dry 2.5” patch to somewhat dry everything but the ammo loaded easy and shot well
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:17 amSo far, I have not perfected the art of having all of the bore wipes fall from the muzzle into a receptacle during a match.
The solution is a larger receptacle. I use a rectangular plastic bin that is 10"x15". So far it hasn't missed a one. If I start missing I'll get a larger one. See....... size is important.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I am using a tote 10 inches Deep, 10 inches Wide, 16 inches long that I have evolved into as a compromise. Any of the ranges I shoot on require a large rock in the tote because of wind and or muzzle blast moving it around. If the tote is too close below the muzzle the muzzle blast will blow bore wipes and patches out of the tote, occasionally I fail to slow the exit of the bore wipe from the muzzle and it pops out and goes past the tote. Totes not so tall the bore wipe will bounce out of.

Thinking next about a large soft towel but think that won't work in a match and if the ground is rock hard and devoid of vegetation the wipes will still bounce around.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:17 am For me, the MPro-7 secret so far is NOT soaking the felts in the fluid.

For .44 & .45 I put two felts on the brass sticker and just quickly submerge in MPro-7 then pull right back out.

I use a damp 2.25" square patch on the rod tip to push the bore wipe through.

When I see the white patch fall from the muzzle I know the bore is clean enough and clear of obstruction for the next shot.

So far no dark patches even in the .44 2.6" and 92 grains of 1.5 Swiss in 100 degrees ambient.

Bottom line, I no longer worry about the accuracy destroying effects of hard bore fouling while shooting a target match competition.

So far, I have not perfected the art of having all of the bore wipes fall from the muzzle into a receptacle during a match.

I dye the .44 felts red to differentiate from the .45 felts and it also helps find the used red .44 wipe in the grass.
How are you applying the solution to your wads? I jut put everything in a container and put some of the stuff in it.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:59 pm
Thinking next about a large soft towel but think that won't work in a match and if the ground is rock hard and devoid of vegetation the wipes will still bounce around.
I’ve been using a towel in the bottom of my plastic catch tote for about 2 years. This past Sunday after a relay was over, my towel caught on fire along with several patches and the plastic tote. It could have gotten outta hand but I saw the smoke early. It’s only happened once. I’m going to start making my towel damp with water from now on. More fire comes out of the end of your barrel than you think. Go shoot your rifle at night and see.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
BFD

Post by BFD »

I have burned cotton towels many times, esp at Raton. PITA
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Why I quit using cardboard boxes to catch patches. One too many boxes caught on fire.

Tried the towel in the bottom of the tote idea, still on some ranges muzzle blast causes articles in the bottom of the tote to be blown out.

There has to be a universal solution. :roll: One would think. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Fellow I spotted for at our BPTR mid-range match two weekends ago managed to pull his muzzle back far enough to set his nice shearling sticks pad on fire. I was watching his target so did not see how he did so, but made a mess of the pad. Was his first time shooting a scope so he was likely a bit discombobulated switching from the simplicity of irons. First time I've seen that. Was glad there was a breeze to get rid the smoke/stink. Maybe he should get a 32" barrel? :lol:
Glenn
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

This pan is like the type I used to give grain to my horses. They won't blow away and you won't break them.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

And they won't catch fire should the patches get lit up.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
craneman

Post by craneman »

I have been using an Indian style blanket for years. Its probably 2' wide & 4' long. Just fold it once with the fold toward you. It's heavy enough to generally not be bothered by wind. After the relay one can just roll it up with patches and wipes and deal with it behind the firing line.
Todd
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I went to the range and I can’t get the baco wipers to work as good as the BFD Gophers. I have tried for the past few years to get them to work as good with no luck. For me the BFD Gopher does a better job and is faster. YMMV. This is for paper patch by the way. They work great for greasers.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Ian - are you saying they don't clean as well or your results on the target are not as good? Can you give a bit more info on what doesn't work as well?
Thanks.
Glenn
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Both. In order for me to shoot this group I had to pay close attention to the condition of the bore after each shot. Shot number 2 I didn't look at the bore after cleaning and I couldn't even get the round loaded and had to push the projectile out from the muzzle. After that I started looking and just about every time there was a little something in the breach area. Sometimes there was a lot so I would use 2 wipers and sometimes there was just a little so I would use some more patches. If the bore was conditioned then everything would shoot fine. I tried one with a little bit of fouling in the breach and that's where that high shot came from which made sense to me because that's usually where my shots go that have a little fouling in the breach area. I have used these wipers when shooting greasers and I absolutely loved them for that. For my paper patch loads I can get them to work very well. One relay in Alma over the summer I used the wipers for a day and my fouling issues were so bad that I ran out of time one relay because I kept having to have my spotter push out stuck projectiles and I was having to wipe 2 and 3 times. I was shooting O.E. then also. However having said all that don't let me stop you from using them. I know there are a lot of people who use them for their Paper Patch loads and love them. Me Personally though for whatever reason I just cant get them to do the job that a BFD Gopher will. I may offer just a little bit of advise especially if your going to make the long drive to River Bend Gun Club in November ..... Bring some Nylon brushes with you just in case. I went to Alma with just the wipers and left my Gophers at home. I paid dearly for that. If you have brushes and you drill out some felts to 3/16" you can put those felts on the back of a brush. If you find that the wipers are not doing the job then you can easily take that squeegee of the back of your wiper and install it on a Gopher. You may not have to do that but I think it always pays to have a backup plan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.