BACO bore wipes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mongo40

Re: BACO bore wipes

Post by mongo40 »

Right that's the ones I saw but then what are these?
IMG_2004.JPG
and watching some YouTube vids I saw what looked like bore brushes with the wool tip and wiper in the rear. Also are the wool wipers reusable? Washed dried and use again or one and done?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Wilson
Woody

Post by Woody »

The BACO system is what Scrapmetal posted. The ones in the picture you posted are not. Both use the same type of "reusable" felts. I put my felts into my brass tumbler with water and dish soap, no tumbling media, and run.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Woody

Post by Woody »

The BACO system is what Scrapmetal posted. The ones in the picture you posted are not. Both use the same type of "reusable" felts. I put my felts into my brass tumbler with water and dish soap, no tumbling media, and run.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Post by BFD »

mongo40 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:11 pm I'm confused on these bore wipes, the ones you all are posting pictures of are brushes with the wipers on, but on BACOs website it is just a brass jag with the wipes on it so not understanding the system, or are y'all getting the wipes an puting them on bore brushes and using them that way??
Chris W
Some of us prefer to make our own. The original bore critters were brushes and some of us fond brushes are better.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

In my 38cal the felts are the 'tight fit' and the o-ring portion goes thru easily and does a good job pushing out the liquid. Enough so that I do not run a dry patch. Also, they do an excellent job of cleaning the bore. I found that cleaning between strings was almost not needed and final clean at the end of the match was very quick and simple with almost no carbon and essentially zero lead in the bore/rifling. PP or GG I'm a convert to the bore-pigs until proven wrong.
Glenn
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Thanks Woody and BFD that clears it up for me, I personally like the homemade version using the brushes, I was going to order some but could only find those brass jags so wasn't sure. I'm guessing those could be made just using a .45cal bore brush right? I'm going to order me a few. Once I get all the stuff in I've had to order I'm going to start slinging some lead.
Setting here at work this morning with my coffee reading "Loading the Black Powder Rifle Cartridge" by Matthews.
Chris W
Chris Wilson
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Re. Tight felts on the bore critters:
For my 38-50, I found that 35cal/9mm VFW felts and 35 cal nylon brushes work well.
the 38 cals were very tight. I also found that the brushes with Steel core last better.
Brass core brushes bent easily. No problem with rusting if you let them dry in open after
washing them. You also have to "break in" the critters. They work
more easily after being used a couple times.
beltfed/arnie
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

The next gunshow I attend I'll load up on a handful of .45cal brushes, there is always that one vender that has boxes of cheap cleaning supplies and accessories. BACO is out of the 45 bore wipes right now, I'm sure if I thought about it I could make everything cept the rubber squeegee but I'm lazy about that kind of stuff these days when time could be better spent doing other things.
Chris W.
Chris Wilson
BFD

Post by BFD »

Buy high quality nylon brushes with bronze wire cores not steel. Steel will simply rust. I get mine from Brownell's. They are not cheap.
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Thanks' Grumpy, I just ordered a dozen from Dewey! Next I'll be bugging you guys on this paper patching stuff, I've only used lubed bullets in the past but like the ideal of being able to just load the base of the bullet into the case allowing me to take full advantage of all the room in that brass. I don't want to start another discussion in this one so I'll save it.
Chris W
Chris Wilson
ScrapMetal

Post by ScrapMetal »

mongo40 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:55 am The next gunshow I attend I'll load up on a handful of .45cal brushes, there is always that one vender that has boxes of cheap cleaning supplies and accessories. BACO is out of the 45 bore wipes right now, I'm sure if I thought about it I could make everything cept the rubber squeegee but I'm lazy about that kind of stuff these days when time could be better spent doing other things.
Chris W.
If you need the squeegees they can be purchased separately from BACO - https://www.buffaloarms.com/bore-wiper- ... wcsqueegee

-Ron
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

Scrapmetal, before you posted that I had gone to their site and was going to order some till I saw what the cheapest method of shipping was going to cost me, hate to pay that for such a small Item so I'll wait till I need to make a bigger order.
Chris W
Chris Wilson
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I tried some of that M pro7 with my baco wipers Friday and I liked it. Seems like it is a good combination
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

For me, the MPro-7 secret so far is NOT soaking the felts in the fluid.

For .44 & .45 I put two felts on the brass sticker and just quickly submerge in MPro-7 then pull right back out.

I use a damp 2.25" square patch on the rod tip to push the bore wipe through.

When I see the white patch fall from the muzzle I know the bore is clean enough and clear of obstruction for the next shot.

So far no dark patches even in the .44 2.6" and 92 grains of 1.5 Swiss in 100 degrees ambient.

Bottom line, I no longer worry about the accuracy destroying effects of hard bore fouling while shooting a target match competition.

So far, I have not perfected the art of having all of the bore wipes fall from the muzzle into a receptacle during a match.

I dye the .44 felts red to differentiate from the .45 felts and it also helps find the used red .44 wipe in the grass.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!