BACO bore wipes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: BACO bore wipes

Post by ian45662 »

Do it woody!!!!
BFD

Post by BFD »

Are you starting to see the dim glow, Woody?

Ian can lead you out into the light. Just go... :)
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Yes, Woody. Its pretty easy. I've all ready wrapped three (yes, 3) bullets before taking a break. Whew............. seriously, just waiting for them to dry to see what I may or may not have done wrong before continuing. Think it will not be more tedious than lubing and loading once I get it and me organized.
Glenn
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I had help coming to the light. Now I don’t want to come out of the light.
Woody

Post by Woody »

The way of the patch has been working well for you.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

First efforts at 'rolling my own'. Think I have a method. Wet the paper and then roll. Biggest difficulty I've got is getting the end wet enough to fold over and stay in place. Did 30 in under an hour, which isn't too bad. Figure once I get a bit more experience I'll be able to double that.
Am surprised that the first three I did yesterday are not thoroughly dry today. I may put them all in the convection oven at 170F for 10min if they are not all dry tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Put them on a candle warmer.
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Glenn,
I am proud of you. You are "clothing" those bullets just fine.
Oh, re. the drying:
I use a small coffee/tea water electric hot plate to set bullets on if I am doing wet patching.
Lately, I am now dry patching both the 38s and 40s and inserting them into snug fitting ctg trays like you are
and pushing them down somewhat firmly so as to iron down the fold over on the bases.
Most of the time, they bullets to to the range in the tray,and then I insert them into the loaded cases
and set them in my loading block before going to the line
Arnie
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thank you. Remembered my coffee mug heater and it has worked well to dry the bullets. Only problem is can only get 20 bullets at a time on one, so ordered another ($15). Guessing by the time I get the 3rd set of 20 bullets wrapped 1st set will be dry.
Once I started loading, I discovered the the very slight peening from wet tumble cleaning is too much for inserting the bullets without catching on the patch, so a very light chamfer is needed. With GG only needed the initial chamfer on new cases and at the start of each season. Think will need to do so with every cleaning with PP. Barely enough to notice, but the patch does. My plan to shoot today was disrupted by work on the 600yd range. Soon.
Glenn
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Glenn,
I have only initially lightly chamfered my cases inside and out.
Then afte that,
Rather than repeatedly chamfer, I use an "M" type expanding die/plug from NOE that
fits into a Lee universal die body. For the 38-50, the size is 0.379/0.383"
I set the die to run the plug in such that the 0.383 step just opens the mouth
of the case maybe 0.020"- just enough to give it a slight "bell" , but not enough to make it hard to chamber them.

The M die run in ensures that any possible dings or curl in of the case are ironed out.
Easy to finger seat the bullets w/o tearing the patch.
Another plus for the very slight belling is to ensure the case mouth is concentric in the chamber.
beltfed/arnie
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

One of the VLD chamfer tools works well for me when I get the case mouth peening. It removes very little brass. Just covering the cases with water in the tumbler really cuts down on the peening. It doesn't matter how many or how few, just cover with water.
You can pick up a scientific hot plate off ebay for $50 or so for drying your patched bullets. I do about 70 at at a time with it it set at 200* and can start racking em up immediately after I wrap the last bullet.

HG
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

you can add a bit of alcohol to your water mix...helps the drying process. Or if you just wet the one end, to aid the starting of the patch....

I myself dry patch, it takes a bit to learn it, but there is no paper shrinkage then. Give it time you will get better and faster!! After a few thousand it will be like second nature!!

Matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

A good VLD is very important you dont want any burs catching the paper. Also having a VERY dry chamber after wiping is VERY important. once that paper is wet and you shoot it will smear and lead your barrel......
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

First try. A couple of the patches were about 1/8" too short to make two complete wraps. Will that be a problem? 10, each, of lino, 16-1 & 20-1 to test.
Ended up with 0.195" of compression and bullets 0.135" into the case. Figure that with paper wrapped under the bullet there was no need to add a newspaper wad between the LDPE wad and bullet base. The nose has about 3/8" of engraving when fully loaded in the chamber.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glenn
BFD

Post by BFD »

Those gaps in your paper patches are not ideal but they won't matter much. Next time twist your template to make the patches longer.

I would seat less a bullet in the case next time also. I prefer 0.100 or less for target rounds.

I don't think the paper wad between bullet and LDPE is necessary either. Look for your fired wrappers and you should pretty easily determine if the paper on the base is leaving the bullet promptly. It is usually the easiest part of the patch to find.

Overall, your cartridges look decent. Room for improvement, but you should be able to see some sense of accuracy with those. I'll be particularly interested to see how your Lino bullets fare. I would shoot those first and be sure to gather patches from them before they get confused with patches from the others. I am not entirely sure that lino will bump up enough, but the patches will tell you for sure.

When should we expect results?