BACO bore wipes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

beltfed

Re: BACO bore wipes

Post by beltfed »

Brent, the bullets I sent to Glenn are 9+1 COWW/Lino, about 15bhn and they are Dual Diameter.
All the shooting I have done with them, the patches are cut thoroughly through over the patch to groove base band
( Note the pic of the snow shot bullets I sent you.No bump up at all. and base band is deeply engraved by the rifling)
The snug fitting patched to bore body just rides out on the lands "on the paper" . and the entire patch blows off just in front of the firing line.
A mix of confetti and some larger pieces.
Arnie
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

beltfed wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:28 pm Brent, the bullets I sent to Glenn are 9+1 COWW/Lino, about 15bhn and they are Dual Diameter.
All the shooting I have done with them, the patches are cut thoroughly through over the patch to groove base band
( Note the pic of the snow shot bullets I sent you.No bump up at all. and base band is deeply engraved by the rifling)
The snug fitting patched to bore body just rides out on the lands "on the paper" . and the entire patch blows off just in front of the firing line.
A mix of confetti and some larger pieces.
Arnie
Wait..... Timeout...... hold the phone....... Am I reading this correctly?!? A harder alloy that won’t bump up much is shooting good out of the DDPP designed bullets?!? If that’s the case this is great news!!! I was shooting some very low power loads Tuesday with some DDPP bullets and they were not bumping up much at all. There were large chunks of paper everywhere. Not the small strips that I normally like to see but they actually shot pretty well. I was going to switch to a softer alloy or even a pure lead bullet to get more bump up but maybe that’s not even necessary at all.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

BFD wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pmThose gaps in your paper patches are not ideal but they won't matter much. Next time twist your template to make the patches longer.
Yes..... waiting for my 3/4/5 triangle to arrive and will tape to my board for cutting patches.
BFD wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pmI would seat less a bullet in the case next time also. I prefer 0.100 or less for target rounds.
How deeply do you seat them for BPCR where one can be in a bit of a hurry and not want to have to phutz with a bullet falling out of the case?
BFD wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pmWhen should we expect results?
If the weather holds, plan to shoot them Monday a.m. Am generally alone on the 600yd range at sun-up on Monday morning. If not, plan is to head to Ian's match in KY and will do so next Friday a.m.
Glenn
BFD

Post by BFD »

Glenn go to the hardware store or hobby shop and buy some brass strip and cut your own in several sizes. Easy as pie with a hacksaw and file.

I seat 0.100 or 0.090" for competition bullets.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

What is one looking for in finding the paper after shooting?

Was only able to shoot at 100yd (folks were on the 200/300/600yd range shortly after I started @ 7:15 a.m. & were still there when I left at 11:30).
The POI at 100yd of the 371345PP is essentially the same as the 376365GG. I did not want to 'use up' my PP rounds at 100yd, so shot a 3rd group with bullets from Arnies mix, 20-1 and 16-1. As I am shooting in a 38-55 I'm about max'd out with 51gr of 2F. If there was any difference between them, I would have to say the 20-1 shot the best group. I'm thinking that the softer alloy may bump-up better than the harder two. Vertical was right at 1moa and my essential tremor wobble is about 2moa horz.

BTW - zero leading as best I can tell, with either the Shilen or Bartlein 12" twist barrels. Only difference I can tell is the SS Bartlein is definitely 'slicker' than is the CM Shilen from the feel of pushing wads thru both.

200yd & longer awaits.
Glenn
BFD

Post by BFD »

Genn,
this is what you do NOt whan to see - burn through

The rifling should make pretty distinct slices through at least the outer layer and probably both, from the ogive to the bullet base. But sometimes, the slicing stops before it reaches the nose (it starts at the bottom of the bullet).
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Thanks, Brent. Did not find any like that. Some larger pieces, but mostly just confetti.
Glenn
BFD

Post by BFD »

Post some pics if you want. You can learn from patches, but the problem with sporadic patch failures is that they are only a small percentage of patch remains and often not discovered.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Neglected to mention the BACo bore wipes, which worked well for me. My only problem is that I was shooting from the bench and I missed a couple of with my hand (a bit messy) as the dry patch was too tight with my jag. They wanted to 'launch' out the end of the bar if I wasn't careful. Between using a bit smaller jag and shooting prone will be considerably less messy as they drop into the tray.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Yep, had to mark my patch pushing rod to stop about 4 inches before the weasel starts to exit the muzzle to keep from launching them.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

you guys are not shooting in enough wind.
it should be blowing patches and critters sideways, different every time, so you cant catch them in a container.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Glen will you be bringing any of these loads to Kentucky with you this weekend?
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Ian - If I can make it I will have 25rds of PP with me to test. I need to shoot my fixed ammo to get the rest of my new brass fire-formed. Loaded up 500rds of fixed when there was not shooting in the spring for something to do.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

If push comes to shove fireforming can be accomplished with white powder, cornmeal and a card wad on top.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Yeah, but having spent the $$ & time to cast, lube, etc. (what do you think, 50hr to deprime, clean, cast & load 500rds?), even at just short of 73yr-old I'm not willing to waste the time/$$ all ready used and spend another bunch of time/$$ to shoot oatmeal loads at the sky. Think I'll "fire for affect" with these.
Glenn