BACO bore wipes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: BACO bore wipes

Post by desert deuce »

Just a thought if you were wanting ff brass to take to a match and could not get to a range before the match this can be done almost anywhere except inside the house. Both ways are satisfactory.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

Well guys I hate to be a stick in the mud, I don't really know what that means but I heard it a lot from the Ole Timers around when I was growing up. I don't chamber mop when shooting PP bullets, and I don't push a dry patch to make sure the barrel is dry either, My last patch is slightly damp, ask Ian, he knows all about it. Works for me just fine. So, a lot of these things people swear to, doesn't seem to effect my shooting at all. Oh well. What ever works for you I guess.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Gerald - that's good to read. I was being oh so careful to insure everything was dry. I'll give it try without the dry patch next time out to see if that works for me. That would be one more thing to not have to worry about on the line if I can skip the dry patch. Thanks.
Glenn
semtav

Post by semtav »

Coltsmoke wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:06 pm I don't chamber mop when shooting PP bullets, and I don't push a dry patch to make sure the barrel is dry either, My last patch is slightly damp, ask Ian, he knows all about it. Works for me just fine.
That's really interesting.
I'm going to have to find a sacrificial piece of brass some day and try it.
Ive ruined a lot of brass with wet chambers and GG bullets.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I will agree, you have a wet chamber and touch one off, your asking for things to go bad....quick. For the cost of a patch its not worth risking it. If you are using a larger ctg, you may not be removing all of the fouling. Not saying it cant be done or not have accuracy if you dont.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I will attest to what Gerald does works very very well. Seen it first hand when he sent me packing down in Georgia last year.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

I've shot GG bullets for 7 yrs. pushing a wet followed by 1 damp patch. Never mopped a chamber once. In all that time I had one case come apart, only one. Had no trouble what so ever. I have one PP bullet for my 45-70 that is a snug fit, I have used a chamber mop and pushed it into the rifling about one inch after each shot just to make sure there was no fouling left where the bullet had to set when chambered. I've tested PP loads mopping and the same load not using a mop, didn't seem to make any difference. I'm not trying to start an argument with anybody, it just hasn't been a necessary step for me. Hasn't caused any problems with my brass. I'm testing 3 different PP bullets in a 40-65 right now, 1 wet patch followed by one damp patch, no chamber mop, no dry barrel, no problem. Not a wet barrel just slightly damp. Took the same load and tried it in a dry barrel for 10 shots, it went to crap, group opened up big time.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Am another who has shot with a sopping wet (dripping out the bottom of the action) chamber and barrel for all of this century and recall only two separated cases (one in a 38-56 and one in 40-65) in all that time. I did get some minor stretching with 40-65 Win cases so would trim them at the end of season, but only 3-5thou. The Rem & Starline never needed it. May be as much to do with the poly wads and heavy loads as the Win cases were for rams and long-range shooting and always 65gr or more of 2F and a 439gr bullet.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Have two 'long range rifles', 44-90 and a 45-90 that had (past tense) "match" chambers. Both had serious case separation problems. Noticed a pan lubed and unsized bullet would not fit in the mouth of a fired case. Sized bullet down to .446 from .447 in the 44 and .4569 from .458 in the 45 still had a problem of the bullet taking the front of the case up into the rifling. Had the front of the chambers opened up one and one half thousandths and shortened the fireformed cases five thousandths shorter than chamber length, went from 1-20 alloy to 1-16 for the 'long range' loads and the problem virtually went away and that improved accuracy dramatically. Suspect there is a distinction between a dry chamber, a damp chamber and a wet chamber and how that affects brass stretching. At that time I also moved away from using cutting oil in bore patch wipe to antifreeze for patching and MPro-7 for BACO bore wipes presently. I shoot grease groove bullets and it seems when using the BACO Bore Squeegees if I chase the squeegee with a dry patch I get more bore leading than if I run a damp patch which seems to work better than a wet patch, why I don't know. Where you shoot may make a difference in your individual case.

Still use 1-20 alloy in midrange and silhouette ammo and occasionally VW antifreeze & arsenal patch on a nylon brush in 40-65 or 45-70 when shooting in the shade. Baco wipes if in the open sunlight or really hot, really hot in Southern Arizona is a dry heat don't you know? Frequently single digit humidity.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Zack - have your tried just the BACo bore wipes without a following patch? That's my next move with both GG and PP.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

SSSSShooter wrote: have your tried just the BACo bore wipes without a following patch? That's my next move with both GG and PP.

Yes, even tried the bore wipe without the 0 ring just to gauge the effect. Works O.K. As we all know, necessity is the mother of invention so idiosyncrasies that may arise during a match can be worked through in practice. Like, extracting shot 8 in silhouette (shooting in shade) and noticing the timer says 39 seconds. I can clean wo a patch shoot, reload without cleaning fire shot ten and expect to have the bullet strike reasonably close to the previous shot and beat the buzzer without hurrying the shot. Have used it twice and worked both times, 45-70.

When shooting in the open, especially with the long range rifles, that damp patch following the bore wipe is the messenger telling me the condition of the bore. It is a perfunctory mental exercise to keep cobwebs from forming in the brain housing group and give me confidence to execute the fundamentals correctly for the next shot. Doping the conditions is enough, don't need to wonder about bore condition. That clean or practically clean damp patch says, "don't worry about barrel fouling, just read it, set it and shoot it."
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

When my wiping solution consists of oil and water then I have to use a mop. I will get a split case if I don’t. Now if I use the Preston RV antifreeze then I don’t have to mop. Just the critter and a dry patch will do it for me. . For some reason though I don’t think my Shiloh likes the antifreeze stuff. My highwall loves it but maybe not the Shiloh. Little more testing to say for sure with it.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Shot our BPTR md-range 200/300/600yd match this a.m. Shot the 200yd distance with the 345gr BACo PP bullet being pushed by 51gr of 2F Swiss and wiped with the BACO bore wipes. I did not use a day patch behind the bore wipes, instead, using a patch wrapped on a 38cal nylon brush as a bore mop. I had hoped to not need to do so, but my 7-1 mix of water-soluble cutting oil & water could be seen sitting in the bottom of the chamber, so the patch & brush was a quick & easy solution. Only took 2 patches for the 14 shots, so one patch goes quite a ways before becoming soaked. Shot a 93-1, with no score lower than a 9, which was not bad in our windy conditions. And, the best is I've detected zero leading shooting 20-1, so seems to work well. Wish I did not have 350 loaded rounds of GG to fire-form and "unload" or I would diaper up a bunch more bullets for the rest of the season. Next year...........
Glenn
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Glenn,
You were obviously using the DDEPP Baco 371345E bullet in the 38-50 this morning in that Midrange match?
You mention "at the 200yds distance". What bullet/load did you use at the longer yard lines?
Good shooting.
beltfed/arnie
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Arnie - 38-55 rather than 38-50. 330gr BACo GG Money bullets at 300yd and 365gr at 600yd. Really need to get my GG loaded rounds "shot-up" and fire-form the brass, so will grit my teeth and use them until gone (by the end of Nov). Am happy with the BACo bore pigs. Worked well.
Glenn