BACO bore wipes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: BACO bore wipes

Post by Woody »

Shot the NMLRA 1000 yard today using the BACO bore wipes soaked in Npro7 and followed by a damp patch. Zero leading all day. Shot 67 rounds with sighters today. The wipes did what they are designed to do. My only comment was, I had to use my 5/16 th diameter stainless cleaning rod to push them. Several, I had to stand and tap the rod against the mat to get it started. Not the best way to achieve stellar scores. I get to shoot two more strings tomorrow with the wipes. Don't know why they were so hard to get them started.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Put them in your lathe and take another thou or two out of the grooves. Should do the trick.

Try gophers someday. :)
Woody

Post by Woody »

I thought of that already, but I'm too tired to do it tonight. The up side, I finally got to shoot my 77 Shiloh at 1000 yards.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
BFD

Post by BFD »

it made it that far? Who knew? :)

Good luck tomorrow.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Yes.......... my skinny 38cal plastic rod is too flimsy & slick to use for pushing the bore wipes thru. Switched to the Tipton brass rod and worked much better.
Glenn
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

This last batch of .45 cal squeegees were also too fat. Dave Gullo said that they were out of spec and replaced them.

Now I run them through the bore when I receive them "BEFORE" going to the range'

Apparently it is the 0 ring groove not cut deep enough. They will work in a pinch with no 0 ring on the squeegee

Have not tried using a skinny 0 ring...........YET.

They work at 108 in the shade and 7 % humidity so Indiana should not be a problem.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

7412BAC6-F67D-4D61-AD79-226AD8418EEA.jpeg
I use a hybrid type of bore “BADGER”, it is a bore brush with 2 felts, 1 at the front and 1 at the rear with the BACO hard plastic ferrule and O-ring. All pushed through with a delrin rod and a dry patch between rod and BADGER.
7D30EA17-4720-4FBB-8DE0-A97D7B30BC66.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Woody

Post by Woody »

We shot another two strings at the 1K line today. I was paired with Steve Farringer both days. After my struggles with the bore wipes yesturday, Steve loaned me enough of his to shoot today. I could push his with my delrin rod. Accuracy was the same. I'm starting to think I got some of the larger ones. I guess I'll BACO tomorrow.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I use the BFD Gophers but I did have some baco wipers and they were very hard to push through. I gave them away but then ended up ordering another batch of the wipers and these newer ones I have push through much easier.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Excellent shooting this weekend Ian.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Thanks. I had a good time. I was wanting to check out your 77 but things just got busy.
VectorMan

Post by VectorMan »

At some of these matches, it’s almost like you need an extra day just for show and tell and Q & A.
"keep adding powder til it bloodies your nose and blacks your eyes, then back it off bout 5 grains."
Woody

Post by Woody »

Called BACO this morning when they opened. Explained my issue and was told that their supplier had shipped some out of spec last year. They asked my to return my squeegees for replacement. No problem. They are in the mail.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I'm confused on these bore wipes, the ones you all are posting pictures of are brushes with the wipers on, but on BACOs website it is just a brass jag with the wipes on it so not understanding the system, or are y'all getting the wipes an puting them on bore brushes and using them that way??
Chris W
Chris Wilson
ScrapMetal

Post by ScrapMetal »

You screw the wipes to the end of the cleaning jag. From BACO's website:

You then push them through with a delrin (or other type) rod.

-Ron