Dr. Goodwin’s Orthoptic Screen Sight

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dbm

Dr. Goodwin’s Orthoptic Screen Sight

Post by dbm »

'Goodwin Style' rifle sights are available from several makers today, the term generally being used to describe a sight with an offset staff. I have written a brief history of the original sight that saw limited success in the UK during the early 1860s. For details see: Dr. Goodwin’s Orthoptic Screen Sight.

David
www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Historical Firearms, long range target shooting and military history
Perentie

Re: Dr. Goodwin’s Orthoptic Screen Sight

Post by Perentie »

Does anyone still make this style of sight? I read in Matthews book that Ron Snover did but I cant find them anywhere.

Keith
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

There's still a few makers - even Pedersoli makes this styyle sight. But also Mike Neumann in South Africa. Rex Holbrook in the UK also used to make them, but he passed away. If you want a good one, Mike Neumann would be the best source IMO
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

i had one made locally and it not a bad type of sight.
they are good for wiping, because the staff is offset.
the guy that made mine did not understand the need for rapid adjustment in competition so it could be better that way, but he did good workmanship.
keep safe,
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
firefighter1990

Post by firefighter1990 »

I believe Kelley makes one as well.
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks for that info all.
Why dont more shooters use them?
Folding the Soule back at longer ranges with a Hadley eyecup to wipe between shots for paper patching is a bit of a problem.
When I was using greasers and a blow tube , not so much.
I was considering a new sight as my Pedersoli Long Range soule has developed a problem in that the top of the staff tilts sideways when altering windage before the base moves.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

martinibelgian wrote:There's still a few makers - even Pedersoli makes this styyle sight. But also Mike Neumann in South Africa. Rex Holbrook in the UK also used to make them, but he passed away. If you want a good one, Mike Neumann would be the best source IMO
How do I contact Mike Neumanm?
I have been trying to find a photo of his sight as from what I have read, his staff posts are parallel to the barrel whereas the Pedersoli and the Kelley are at right angles.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Correct, the staff posts are indeed parallel to the barrel - I have 2 of his sights, and am pretty pleased with them. Sendme a PM and I'll send you his email. BTW, he not only makes sights, but is quite willing and able to customize them to your specific requirements and rifle. Which was a necessity for me, shooting martini's This illustrates the other advantge of a Dr. Goodwin-style sight: It can be adjusted quite a bit lower than traditional sights, a requirement when installing a tang sight on a Martini - very little drop in the buttstock.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks Gert. PM sent
Being a Martini man have you seen this? its a Mues sight on this old .303 thats been around the traps a bit.
Image. by Keith Cree, on Flickr
Image. by Keith Cree, on Flickr

I have another similar called an Argyll.
Bit off topic but similar to the Dr Goodwin offset sight
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Yes, the Mues sight - heard about it, saw pics of it, but never held one. I see that Mk IV has been somewhat modified though - rear cleaning hole in the receiver? That Mues should definitely help in getting good accuracy. I presume that one is converted to .22?
I think those original military Martini's are wonderful - despite having everything wrong by today's standards, they still are capable of impressive accuracy by military rifle standards - crude sights,overzize chambers, overbore cartridge etc. Still, they will shoot if you're willing to put in the time and effort to develop a load - and think outside the box.
BTW, sent a reply to your PM, including some pics.
Perentie

Post by Perentie »

Thanks for the info and the pics. Appreciate it.
Yes the Martini has had a varied life, sometime before I got it , it had been converted to .303 from the .22RF. The barrel is not too good but I have a new "Heavy" I think SMLE barrel here that looks as if it might fit.

Why dont we see more of these offset sights around?
What is the downside compared to the Soule?
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Personally, I would lean towards the Jim Kelley's sight. His staff can be adjusted for any distance. Plus, he supports our sport. Good looking.... Take a look...........
http://www.kelleysights.com/KOSMidRangeSight.php
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
dbm

Post by dbm »

I’ve recently been able to update the article on the Goodwin sight with improved photographs of the original. Some small updates also made to the story. Dr Goodwin’s Orthoptic Screen Sight was available for a limited period in the UK, maybe just 2 or 3 years in the early 1860s.

See: Dr. Goodwin’s Orthoptic Screen Sight

David
www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Historical Firearms, long range target shooting and military history