FIXIN TO BE A SHILOH OWNER

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

jackrabbit

Re: FIXIN TO BE A SHILOH OWNER

Post by jackrabbit »

77 sharps wrote: Making and loading PP bullets is really easy and they are superior in many ways to grease groove bullets, especially for hunting.
I sure don't want to start another paper patch/grease groove pissing match, but I want to point out that is definitely an opinion and I don't agree.....
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Methinks you need to seriously think about all the advice you've gotten. You seem fixated on a long cartridge, and now you seem to be leaning to smokeless and jacketed bullets that several people have advised against. If you want smokeless and jacketed, you should definitely get a .45-70.

Perhaps a one month hiatus for you to think about why you really want a Sharps and what you really want to do with it would be advisable. As others have pointed out repeatedly, you may not be happy with whatever you purchase if you expect one rifle to do everything of which your mind can conceive.

Clarence
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Cm1green wrote:I️ really like the copper bullets made today rather than jacketed bullets
Sounds like you're a better served with a Ruger #1 in 416 Ruger.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

You might want to contact Shiloh on their warranty policy. FWIW.....................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Cm1green

Post by Cm1green »

No not leaning just one to want to know all the capabilities of my weapons sir not loading anything but black powder. I am sticking with what I want and what I am purchasing for.
1. “The difficult we do now the impossible takes just a little longer”
2. “CAN DO”
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Hi CM. You have been getting a lot of good advice here. Before you firm up your purchase, you may wish to visit some matches and shoot some Shilohs in various calibres and talk to the owners. I own a 100 which I love and have shot quite a bit for almost 20 years. I now load it down to about 87 grains of Fg because it has beat me up pretty good over the years as usually charged and my old body will no longer take the abuse. The 120 and 110 Shilohs can be primo hunting weapons, ones you probably won't shoot all that much. If you can stand the pain of sighting in, the actual hunting will be a piece of cake. Both the 110 and 120 can be loaded down somewhat with Fg BP, but not much below what is a maximum charge in my 100. I don't like to shoot these things with a lot of wads and filler in them but some do. I think the large charges of BP make them dangerous enough even if loaded correctly. If you like the 110 and 120s, get one. get what you want. The Quigley is a beautiful rifle. I wish I had one. One other thought. Loaded properly, the 70 will kill most anything on Earth. I have seen one literally go completely through a large buck end to end, in the comoseyama and out the chest. A story: I had a good friend, a raving gunnut like me, in Washington State who wanted a Quigley. Turns out a guy I met at Tensleep had won a Q at the Q. It was in 110 and was beating him to death at the firing line. He wanted to sell it to me. I put him in touch with my friend and the rest is history. Over the years I shot my friend's rifle quite a bit. I got to where I could not shoot it without putting a pad over that curved buttplate. It was really a good shooter but after multiple shots it did become uncomfortable. When I first saw a .45-120 case, I was surprised how much larger it looked than the 110. I shot a guy's 120 at the Q many years ago. He was letting people line up and shoot it. I would say it was a good hunting rifle but not a target rifle, unless it weighed about 25 or 30 pounds. But, bottom line, after you do your research, buy what you really want. If you don't, you won't be happy. It's your money. These Shilohs are a good rifle and a lot of fun. Before you pull the trigger, you could take a trip to Big Timber and talk to the nice folks, view and handle the rifles, and study the various options and upgrades. Best wishes!
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OP-
These rifles shoot their best with REAL BP, and lead bullets.
That military buttstock and a .45-110 round will beat you up for sure! Trust me on this-
Think about the .45-90. It will reach 1K yds with ease and kill anything on this planet.
BTW-RCBS would be a better choice in dies. :wink:
Good luck,
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Call Turner

Post by Call Turner »

I purchased an original Quigley years back in 45/70. I figured being a popular caliber it would be easy to learn to load. I have loaded for many 45/70 lever guns but never BP. To me learning to load and shoot BP is entirely different than smokless. I was humbled more than once. I soon figured out that even at the factory weight the Quigley would not be a hunting rifle unless out of a blind. Too heavy to pack. I have learned more from reading on this site than I could ever imagine. Greasers, PPing, Wiping, Lube wads, Compressing, Different primers and there effects, different sizes and brands of BP. Bullet casting, lead ratios, mold makers, different ways to lube or PP. The list goes on. Then I bought my second rifle for hunting. A 26 in Montana Rough rider in 45/70. I still own the lever gun, and the Quigley will never be sold. I think my next one will be a 45/110 in a 30" gun, or maybe a 50. But always lead bullets!
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Ch-4D is another source for "obsolete" reloading dies and taper crimp dies as well as other reloading equipment. I purchased my .45-110 dies and several taper crimp dies from them and have no issues/problems. See: http://www.ch4d.com/

If I am reading your posts correctly, it appears that you are going to load with smokeless powder and copper bullets as well as copper bullets and Black Powder?

If that is the case, I recalled a thread about 12-15 (??) years ago involving a .40-70 Shiloh rifle that would not shoot. Owner was very dissatisfied, Kirk refunded the price and band sawed the barrel in half lengthwise. If memory serves me correctly, Kirk found that under the jacketed bullet fouling, the barrel was pitted from the previously non-removed residual Black Powder fouling. As a result, Kirk suggested a very thorough bore cleaning before and after changing propellants and bullets as he found layers of jacketed and lead bullet fouling covering up the jacketed and Black Powder fouling. As Kirk claimed: "the band saw doesn't lie."

Not saying that the above will/can happen shooting copper, but I think you would be well advised to pay attention to your cleaning regimen.

As for your desire or thinking about loading smokeless power, all I will say is that I have seen and read of far too many original and modern reproduction rifles -- especially large chambered rifles-- ruined from a rung chamber as a result of loading smokeless powder. On a whim, I looked in the Lyman Number 50 reloading handbook for the .45-110 and .45-120. Lyman lists the ol' Tried-N-True SR4 759 powder, which is or is virtually unobtainium as that powder was discontinued about 3-4 years ago.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

[i]Addendum[/i] to the above:

Agree with what Call Turner posted: "I have loaded for many 45/70 lever guns but never BP. To me learning to load and shoot BP is entirely different than smokeless. I was humbled more than once." He and I -- as well as others -- have been down the same road.

Speaking od reloading, for those who would like to read how the Sharps rifle company loaded its factory ammunition, buy this book: "SHARPS RIFLE - THE GUN THAT SHAPED AMERICAN DESTINY." Best ten bucks I ever spent! Careful and sharp eyed readers will learn a great deal that is applicable today.

Available from Shiloh - -https://shilohrifle.com/accessories/boo ... n-destiny/
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Cm1green

Post by Cm1green »

Nope plan to load this rifle with BP just like it is intended not smokeless. Yes I do like my copper bullets for hunting and use in my 45-70. I intend to use this rifle for what it was intended to shoot lead bullets and BP, was just curious about the smokeless. I think it will be a blast (in more ways than one) to learn the BP cartridge reloading and the paper patching. And who knows maybe down the road by a 45-90 to have an in between weapon as I already have a 45-70. Thanks guys for being patient and understanding. I will be purchasing a 110 not the 120 and am sticking with that and yes it is my money but have always been one for good input and discussion. I enjoy very much shooting all my weapons and am always using a slip on pad for my larger calibre rifles if need be will use one with this. Do I plan to shoot a 100 rnds at one sitting no. No one does. Hell I am lucky when working a rnd for the 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag or 45-70 to get thru 40 to 50 rnds but at end I have good group and velocity to utilize. If I want to shoot real fast rounds I take out the 25-06 but if I want to shoot big slow movers then I use the 45-70 or my muzzle loader. Just depends how I feel no different than ya’ll.
2. “CAN DO”
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Good source for bullets, till you start to cast your own.
https://www.montanabulletworks.com/

What sights will you use?
I recommend the MVA Soule type and the #113 front.
I use the MVA #103 with the smaller Hadley eye disc.
http://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

G.
Cm1green

Post by Cm1green »

I ordered Full Buckhorn with Long Range Buffalo Soule Tang sites. I read on one of the other strings that this would give me better results for medium and long range.
2. “CAN DO”
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The full buckhorn can interfere with sight picture of the Soule at closer ranges.
You do want the #113 for the front.
G.
Cm1green

Post by Cm1green »

large or fine pin?
2. “CAN DO”